Chapter 10 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

Charlie had been taken away to be treated by the doctors. I sat in the waiting room and tried to call Charlie's mother. But every time I did, it went straight to voicemail. I tried calling his father but again no one picked up. I was getting more and more frustrated by the second. Why were they not picking up? I tried one more time but as I was waiting, I had an incoming call from my mother. 

'Where are you?" My mum's voice echoed down the phone. As soon as I heard my mother's voice, mine started shaking as I told my mother what happened. My mother started asking a reel of questions. Listening to the concern evident in my mother's voice, all I wanted was my mother to be here. 

"I will be there as soon as I can, my darling." My mother cut the call as I sat there waiting. I hoped Charlie was okay. 

A man strode down the corridor. Every step he took was full of purpose and his mere presence was enough to intimidate me. His hair had streaks of grey in it and his age was further shown by his face. He stopped next to me and spoke,

"Are you family of Charlie?" I explained to him who I was. Close up, I could notice his tiredness and weary nature. He looked as if he hadn't slept for days. 

"We have tried to notify his parents, but they seem to be very difficult people to get hold of." I nodded and asked him if I could see Charlie. The doctor, who had introduced himself as Dr McKee, led me down the stairs and on the way explained to me how normal procedure worked. The police would want to speak to Charlie and me. But I couldn't recall anything. Thinking back on it now, everything was getting so muddled. Had there been two men or three? Were they wearing hoodies? Were they tall or short? I was so confused right now.

Dr McKee lead me to the end of the corridor and opened the door. Charlie was lying on the bed with his eyes shut. His face was a mess. A bruise had developed under his left eye and his face had patches of discolouration. I wanted to look away as tears welled up in my eyes. His right eye flickered open and it took me a few moments to register that his left eye was also open. But his eye was too swollen to allow it to open more. I leant by the side of his bed and I spoke, 

"I tried to call your mum and dad but the calls didn't seem to be getting through." His voice came out broken,

"What did you expect?" I wanted to comfort him but I didn't know what else to say. He seemed so fragile and all I wanted was to fix him. I turned my head as I heard the door open. It was my mother. I got up and ran to my mother to hug her. She told me to sit down as she approached Charlie. 

"Look at you, poor child. How could someone do that to you?" 

My mother turned to Dr McKeen and asked about his parents. He shook his head without further elaborating on the situation. A nurse came in to inform us that visiting times were almost over and that we should start making a way out. I wanted to stay with him especially since his parents didn't seem to be arriving anytime soon. Abruptly, my mother turned to me and spoke, 

"Malaikah, you go down and Fatimah will be waiting in the car for you. I will stay here with Charlie until his parents arrive." 

"They might not even come." Charlie's voice was bitter.

"Well then, my darling. I will stay with you all night then won't I?" And in that moment I loved my mother more than ever. My mother had such a caring and loving heart. Who would sacrifice their own time for another person? In this day and age, nobody. If I had even gone even a single grain on my mother then I would be happy with myself. My mother squeezed me tightly and kissed me on the forehead. I told Charlie I would be back in the morning and he smiled at me. 

As I was walking out of the hospital, all I could think about was how much Charlie would be upset. I knew he and his parents didn't get on but it seemed like they didn't even care for their only son. And once again, I was grateful for the parents Allah had blessed me with. I hated seeing Charlie suffer and I wish I had the solution to his problems. I tried to call his parents one last time. But again the phone went straight to voicemail. I knew they must have been purposely ignoring the missed calls. They were always on their phones. It infuriated me.

I reached the car park and eventually found where Fatimah had parked the car. She had on a white blazer on top of a royal blue blouse. Her hijab was grey and pinned neatly to her head.She was dressed as if she had come back from work. I pointed this out to her and she shrugged her shoulders. 

"I had to do some work. What happened exactly?" I vaguely described what happened but I wasn't ready to speak too much about it. Fatimah arrived outside my house when I realised that I had no house keys. I groaned.

"It's fine. You can stay around for the night." She reversed out the driveway and to get my mind of Charlie I asked her how long it was until the baby was due. 

"8 weeks. Nearly there." She smiled at me. I couldn't wait. It would be so exciting to hold my newborn niece or nephew. Zayn and Fatimah had decided that they didn't want to know the sex of their child. They didn't live too far and with the roads being clear, we reached in just over five minutes.I got out of the car and so did Fatimah. I walked behind her as she looked through her bag for the keys. 

And that's when I noticed it; her ruched sleeves, her black heels and I knew her hair was dyed brown. 

My heart stopped.