Chapter 21 | Amal

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

Yasir and I were going to set off in the evening time. Both of us had work tomorrow so we were hoping to get there on time. My parents were at work and we were waiting for them before we set off back.

"When do you think your parents will be back?" Yasir glanced at the clock on the wall. I shrugged my shoulders. I had tried to call them but there had been no answer. I got up and went into the kitchen and rummaged the drawers for some crisps. Although I don't know why I thought there would be crisps seeing as I no longer lived here and I was the only family member that used to eat them. Nostalgia hit me then.

I grabbed my jacket and called out to Yasir to tell him I was going out but there was no reply. I called out again and still there was no answer. I sighed and put my shoes back down to go back into the living room to see Yasir engrossed into his phone. I leaned over him and tapped him lightly. He jumped up,

"What the hell are you doing, Amal?" His face was that of a child that had been caught doing something they shouldn't have. I don't know why but I felt annoyance at his reaction.

"I'm going out." He nodded his head. Not saying anything, not even to tell me to be quick. I pulled a face and left. I didn't know why Yasir had been acting so weird lately.

As I was headed to the local shop there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and Umar was standing there sheepishly with his eyes drawn to the ground.

"Can we talk?" His voice was barely audible. I didn't really know what to say.

"There's a bench there. Can we sit?" He gestured towards the bench and sat down. I didn't and remained standing. Umar sighed.

"Look, I am sorry about what I said about you and Wardah. It was harsh and uncalled for."

"Just a bit." I replied. There was a pause before I spoke again.

"Why did you run away?"

"Believe it or not, it was to protect my family. I didn't want them to know the person I had become."

"I don't understand. What kind of person have you become? That's the bit I do not understand."

"I messed up. I got involved in drugs. They were my way out of the constant pressure the family put me under. Not that I am blaming any of you but I just got in to deep. I lost my friends, not that I had many in the first place. I was losing my family. And I just didn't know what to do. So I found some new friends and they would encourage me to do it with them. First I would say no but eventually I gave in. I guess I became one of them. And Amal, that's still not the reason I ran away. The reason I ran away wasn't because I messed up my own life. It was because I messed up yours."

"Umar, what nonsense are you chatting? How on earth can you say that you messed up my life? What are you on about?"

Umar was quiet but I could sense his mind going into overdrive. He had a similar face to that of when he would be studying and he was trying hard to learn a new concept but it wouldn't stick in his head. I prompted Umar again but he seemed to be refusing eye contact with me.

"I let you marry him when I shouldn't have."

"Yasir? What does he have anything to do with this?"

His eyes looked so sad. He opened his mouth.

"I thought it was be good for you to marry him because I really didn't like you at the time and I just wasn't thinking. The guilt has been building up slowly and every time I saw the two of you together, I knew it was just an act. From his part anyway. And the regret I felt that I allowed that relationship to happen."

"What are you on about? My husband is a good man." I had no idea what Umar was getting at here. He seemed so upset. What was wrong with Yasir? Umar was confusing me and I had no clue what he was talking about.

"There is another woman Amal. I don't know who she was or how serious the relationship is but regardless there is one. And I knew it, Amal. And I let you marry him."

I didn't know what I was hearing right now. Another woman? I couldn't tell if this was some twisted joke of his. Maybe he still hated me and this was his punishment. To plant doubt in my mind. No, what was I thinking? Why would Umar do that? But why would Yasir be cheating on me? He married me.

My phone was ringing. It was Yasir.

"Hurry up. Where are you? Your parents are back." I cut the phone on Yasir without giving him a reply.

"Go home, Umar. And I mean your actual home. To your family. Today."