Chapter 36 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

University was set to start in a week and I had packed my bags in preparation. I had achieved the A-Level results that I had wanted and I had got into the university I had wanted as well. I would miss my home and I was nervous to go to university. The entire summer had passed and I hadn't spoken to Charlie once. He hadn't bothered to contact me either and it kind of hurt to say the least, but at least it meant that I wasn't tempted by him either. 

I needed to pick up a few things so I left the house and unlocked the front door. I noticed a different car parked in the next door driveway and my heart started to beat faster. I knew how much my neighbour hated my guts. Amal had left him but I wasn't sure if it was official or anything. I glanced at the car as I walked past and noticed someone sitting in here. Just as I looked away, the person got out of the car.

"Malaikah?" It was Amal. I turned around to face her and smiled at her, even though guilt was building up in my heart. 

"Amal! Assalamu alaikum, how are you?'

"I am good, Alhamdulillah. And yourself?" I nodded my head.

"So, I haven't see you around in a while."

"Well, I only came back to get some things sorted out." Did this mean that they were getting a divorce? Or was this a reconciliation attempt? 

"You don't need to look so guilty. I don't blame you." Amal spoke and bought me back down to Earth. How is it that people could so easily read me? 

"I'm glad you told me. Anyways, I should get going. I hope to see you again soon, Malaikah." She walked off away from me and I breathed a sigh of relief. I couldn't escape this guilt that I was feeling. The guilt that I had started this cascade of events. And I had no idea to fix it. The next idea that popped into my head probably wasn't the best idea I ever had, but it certainly wasn't the worst. I liked Amal, I really did. She was sweet and I could tell she was a nice person. And she was single. Well, maybe she was. I hadn't actually determined that yet. And so was my brother. For the first time since this had all started, I felt like I had found a way out of this. Amal and Zayn. They could work right?

The more I thought about it, the more I realised how obvious it was. They were a perfect match for one another. I was so excited that I decided to call Zayn right now.

"Assalaamu alaikum, bro. Guess what? I have come up with a plan." As soon as I finished that sentence, my brother groaned.

"You and your plans? Go on. What is it this time?"

"You and Amal!" 

"Amal?"

"Our neighbour...you know the neighbour's wife...the wife of the one that you know..." Zayn started laughing. Okay, I don't think that was the reaction I was expecting.

"Good joke, Mali. You do make me laugh sometimes."

"Err...I was being serious. It's been more than a year and a half now since the divorce."

"Yes, I know that Mali. But I'm not ready. And in what planet do you think that this seems right? The two rejects getting together?" 

"Hey...isn't that a good thing? You're both compatible." I laughed, trying to lighten things up. I knew Zayn was hurting and missed Fatimah a lot. I needed to help my brother get better. 

"Look, Mali. I appreciate it. But I don't think the time is great."

"Please. Consider it. For me." He sighed again but at least he gave in. 

"Okay, I will CONSIDER it. But don't get your hopes up and don't expect anything."