Chapter 4 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

Zayn and Fatimah had left a few hours ago. The clock had hit midnight but I was still sat at my desk with my psychology textbook open. I had finally finished the questions of my homework and realised I should probably go sleep now but I was feeling quite hungry so I headed downstairs to the kitchen to find something to eat.

Ramadan was approaching soon and this would probably become a habitat of mine. Scouring the fridge for food in the middle of the night seeing as I wouldn't be able to eat during the daytime. 

On the dining room table, I noticed Abdullah's tablet was sat there. I picked it up and clicked on it. Great, the idiot had put a password on it. Kids these days were getting too smart with technology these days. I typed into his date of birth. Nope. Maybe it was my birthday. Ha, yeah. I laughed at that thought. Abdullah probably had no idea when my birthday was.

As a last attempt I typed in 1234.

The screen flashed. He had actually been so stupid to make that his password. What an idiot! His home screen was filled with all sorts of apps and games.

I didn't really want to do anything on his tablet. But as I waited for my microwave pizza to cook, I went on to the internet. He had an insane amount of tabs opened. The tab that I had opened was a page from a google search he made. I looked to see what he had been searching for and when I saw what he had typed, my heart dropped,

'why does my older sister hate me'

Since when did Abdullah care about what I thought of him? I mean I honestly never thought that it actually bothered him. I was a horrible sister. There was no doubt about that. I did felt rather awful but I literally had no idea Abdullah thought like that. I had always liked to bully him but to think that he actually took it to heart made me feel guilty. 

Okay, I guess I should start being a nicer sister. As the older sibling, it was my responsibility to treat him well not the other way around. Zayn had always taken care of me and Abdullah and it hit me. Everything Zayn had done for me, I never did for Abdullah. We just didn't have that relationship, but it was my fault I knew that. Abdullah was just a kid, an annoying one yes, but still a kid. I was almost an adult and Abdullah was basically half my age yet I still was so immature. I placed the tablet back down and took the pizza from the microwave to go and sit in the living room. 

On the side of the TV, I saw a large blue folder next to it, one that wasn't normally there. The front cover was emblazoned with a tree that I recognised as the logo for Ashworth, the company Fatimah worked for. She must have left it here. Lifting it up, I took it upstairs. It was probably important. 

As I reached up, the room lit up with car headlights. Our neighbour was back from work that meant. I moved the curtain back and watched him get out of the car. Don't ask why, I am weird like that. I wish I had a car like his. Probably would be a good idea to pass my driving first though...

I had never actually met out neighbour. He worked very long hours. When he had first moved back a couple of years back, my father had tried to invite him over for dinner a few times to welcome him but it didn't really work out. The only time he had only ever come around ours was last Ramadan for iftar and that was only because our fast opened so late and he had finished work. But as luck would have it, it happened to be the day that I was had gone out. 

From what I could see of him of me watching him as he returned, he was a handsome guy. Not that I would ever say that out loud. People stalked others on Instagram and I merely watched someone as they returned from work. Wait, is that creepy? It sounds like it. But you know it's nothing. He seemed like such a lonely guy. Charlie told me that I was only obsessed with him because he was older than me. I told him to shut up but you know once you tell someone something, they're guaranteed to mock you about it. To be fair, he had a point. I had no idea what he was like but he looked so beautiful in a suit. 

Imagine if people could read your minds, like if everyone could read each other's thoughts, what would the world be like? At the beginning, I would assume it would be chaos. You would discover that your best friend actually despises you, that your brother really couldn't care less about you but I guess it would also work the other way. You would discover the person in the shadows the loves you, the person that hides their love for you. Wouldn't the world be a better place without dishonesty and deception? But alas, that is the way of human nature. For as long as people can hide emotions and thoughts, deceit will always exist.  Wow, I was getting really philosophical today. 

My phone lit up and I glanced over it and noticed that I had a new message from Fatimah asking about her folder. It was really late, I wonder why she was up at this time of the night. She had work in the morning so she was usually asleep by this time. Although to be fair, by that logic I should also be asleep seeing as I had school in the morning. But morning school just wasn't for me. I was more of a night owl, a nocturnal animal. I put my phone on charge and went to lie in bed. It wouldn't be long before sleep would take me as my eyes were already drooping from tiredness.