Chapter 5 | Amal

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

I was standing in front of the mirror wondering what I should wear. Yasir had told me last night that we were going to go out for dinner. Apparently there was this really nice restaurant. I really didn't like restaurant food. I much preferred takeaway food, like burgers and pizza, but it was the thought that counted.

At the end I settled with a long dusty pink maxi dress with a lace borderline embroidered down the front. By the time I had finished my makeup and pinned my hijab,  Yasir had arrived. 

Yasir took a shower whilst I called up my father. 

"Amal, my darling. Finally! Your father and I have been waiting for your call. We thought you'd forgot about us." My stepmother's voice rang out from the other side. I missed them so much and I longed to see them even though it hadn't been that long. Listening to my stepmother talk about how the house felt empty without me sent a wave of nostalgia over me. 

I heard the water stop running. Yasir had finished I guess. After a few moments, the bedroom door opened and he walked in. I looked up at him and noticed he had no shirt on. I immediately looked away. 

"You do know you don't need to do that." 

"Do what?" I said keeping my eyes on my phone screen. He didn't say anything but he came over to me and knelt by the floor of where I was sat. He didn't say anything but just sat there. It was rather unnerving. I continued looking at my phone and Yasir did not move from where he sat by my feet. I could feel his eyes on me and from my peripheral vision I noticed his smirk. 

"Umm, aren't you going to get ready?" 

"I am." He still didn't move. 

"Well...you seem to be sitting there." I questioned him. All of a sudden he stood up and snatched my phone from me.

"Give it back." I demanded.

"Sure, if you can reach this high." He held my phone up in the air. Great, why did he have to be so tall? I stood on my tiptoes but my fingers barely reached his forearms. He laughed at my failed attempts to get my phone back. Was there something I could stand on? The bed. I dragged him towards the bed and stood on the bed but he moved away. Gosh, Yasir was being really childish today. 

"How long are you going to keep up this charade for? I really need to use my phone." He mimicked me in a high-pitched voice.

"I do NOT sound like that," I said incredulously. Wait, did I? No, no I didn't. He was being immature. 

"I'm joking, Amal. Here's your phone back." 

He held my phone out and just as I was going to take it he pulled it away. I scowled as he laughed at me. He held it out again. I bided my time and then tried to snatch it. But he was too quick and managed to pull away. 

Then I noticed his phone on charge. He followed my eyes and saw me looking at his phone. Both of us ran to the phone. I got there before and took it away. 

"Now give me mine back." Honestly if anyone had been watching us, they would have thought we were children with the way we were acting, not two married adults. He smiled at me, 

"I'm fine with that. You keep my phone. I don't have anything to hide. But seemingly you do. Seeing as you so desperately require your phone." 

"I don't have anything on my phone..." I really did want my phone back but it wasn't because I was hiding anything. I just wanted my phone back. He raised his eyebrows at me as he handed me my phone back. I felt slightly bad.

He opened the wardrobe and put on a shirt. Ugh, it had taken me more than an hour to get ready. And he took less than 10 minutes. The struggles of being a girl...

In the car, Yasir started talking about a holiday. He went on holiday every year to some country or the other. And this year he wanted to go to Morocco. My family and I had never been one for holidays. The only place I had been was Pakistan several times. I did enjoy Pakistan but the prospect of another country excited me. I couldn't wait to go.