As Far As We Go

November 22, 1999
Madrid, Spain

Prince's Perspective

"I said, DID YOU TALK TO HER?!", Jazz shouted.

"For the last time, no."

"Were you even going to tell me she was there?" Definitely not.

"Baby, nothing happened. Now can w—"

Taking a stance in front of me, she folded her arms against her chest. "Did you invite her to the show?"

"No baby."

"Then why the fuck was she at the show?!"

The vein in my forearm twitched as she enunciated on her foul language. Never more than a mild four, her attitude was at an all-time high due to this pregnancy.

Before we even left Minnesota I asked Jazz what her thoughts were about me meeting with Mayte and she flat out said no. Her brisk response when I asked her why not? "Because I said so." I let it go.

Our trip had been absolutely perfect up until this point. Jazz had been suffering from a migraine since the day before so she opted to not come to the taping for Septimo.

I swear I had no idea Mayte was going to be at the show

Rounding out the show with Everyday People, I took this opportunity to pull people from the vibrant crowd. Working my way through the left side, as I pivoted on my heels I saw Larry motioning for his wife to come on stage. What I did not expect to see was Mayte and her sister trailing behind her.

I concealed my unnerved facial expression and gave her a subtle half hug. Clutching onto two roses that been thrown from the audience, as a kind gesture I handed her the wilting red one and kept the stark white one. That's all that happened on stage. The only thing I could do was thank god Jazz had not come, I don't even want to imagine how that would've turned out. It was the unforeseen interaction after the show that had me on pins and needles.

—————————————————————

Earlier...

"Yeah, everything went smoothly for the most part but now I'm just ready to come lay up under you. Maybe we co—" a knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. "Hold on Jazz...COME IN!", I shouted, assuming it was either Stephanie or Darren informing me that the car was ready.

As the door creaked open, I paid no mind to who was entering. Picking at lint on my thick cotton pants, I placed the phone back to my ear. "I'm back, I'll see you in about twenty minutes ok? Love you too." Closing the flap on my mobile phone, I turned around once I heard a female clear her throat.