The Ugly Truth

December 18, 1999

Chanhassen, Minnesota

Shimmying out of my tight navy blue pants before kicking them half way across the room, my sister looked on as I stomped into my closet on the verge of tears.

Nothing fits anymore. The bottoms that I'd envisioned for this outfit were now ruined. I forced them up past my hips but the moment I tried to button them the button popped off.

"Why don't you just borrow a pair of his pants?", Tori shouted from the other side of the room.

Standing amongst the sea of my wardrobe, I chose to ignore her suggestion. If my pants don't fit, what makes her think his will? My booty is way bigger than his.

Coming to the conclusion nothing else would work with the sweater I had chosen, I switched up my entire outfit. I sensed a presence standing in the doorway as I peeled the thin black top off of my body.

I turned to see Morgan clutching a full wine glass. "Damn, are you sure you're not having twins?" For the last time, no. When are people going to realize that not everyone's baby bump is a uniform size? It's one thing if I said it, but it irked me when anyone else said it. I didn't need a constant reminder from people about how fat I was getting.

I brushed past the topic as I stepped into a pair of black pants. "What is that your third glass of wine?"

"My second. I'm just trying to loosen up before we head to the party. It's bad enough your baby daddy said it won't be any alcohol there."

"Fiancé", I sternly corrected her. Following closely on my heels out into the hallway and down the back staircase, by the way she sucked her teeth I knew she was just getting started.

"Regardless of if he put that ring on your finger and that baby inside of you, he hasn't earned that title."

Following us into my kitchen, Tori could sense my aggravation. "Morgan, chill out."

"I am calm Victoria. I don't know why I'm the only person here questioning why we got fitted for dresses for a wedding that's supposed to happen in March, yet this man is still legally married to someone else? What's his hang up?"

Perched on the granite counter tops, Naima's entire demeanor changed once she heard those words leave Morgan's mouth.

"Hold up, I know she did not just say what I think she said. But you two have been engaged since September?!"

Morgan can never decide whether she wants to like P or hate him. At this point he can't even stand to be around her because every chance she gets she throws that in his face. What does she want me to do, call Mayte myself and tell her she needs to sign the divorce papers?

I cut my eyes at my sister. "I'm not going to keep having this conversation with you Morgan. He said that everything was going to be fine. When I asked hi—"