Better Left Unsaid

March 11th, 2000

"Jesus Dana, why are you gripping the steering wheel so tight?"

My 16 year old cousin didn't even dare take her eyes off the icy roads ahead. "There is a pregnant lady in the car, I'm not taking anymore chances."

Ten minutes before, all she did was look my way for a second and the car almost veered off the road. I had been extremely anxious about the wedding being less than two weeks away, but in that moment I was just praying I'd make it to the altar.

''It was a simple mistake just relax gir—"

"Relax?!," she interrupted. "How am I supposed to relax when you could've gotten hurt? I've only had my license for two days and then this happens. Prince would've kicked my ass for sure if I took you back home with so much as a scratch. Not to mention we would've been late."

I cocked my brow. "Late for what? We're just going to the mall." At least that's what she led me to believe.

She hesitated for a moment before nervously grinning. "Y-yeah we are going to the mall. But we have to get there before it closes, ya know?"

"It's only two o' clock, the mall closes at ten." Without a doubt Dana inherited the family trait of having a big mouth so it was no surprise she had a slip up. "What's really up?"

She decided to play dumb. "You wanna know what's up? The sky. Jasmin we're just going to the mall." The fact that I never liked the element of surprise was only heightening my annoyance. She had already outed herself, it was no use in keeping me in the dark anymore. Creeping to the red light, her lips twisted in an attempt to hide a faint smirk. "You can give me the stink eye all you want, I'm still not going to tell you."

Since my usual stare-down tactic didn't work, it was time to move on plan b. It wasn't the classiest, but she forced my hand. "Fine. But wouldn't it be a shame if Aunt Andrea somehow found out about how you snuck off to Chicago last summer?"

My devious grin soon washed away when she let out a loud cackle. "Nice try, she already busted me for that. Anymore empty threats?" Dammit. She took my silence as a no. "That's what I thought, now sit back and enjoy the ride."

It wasn't long before we arrived in Mendota Heights and turned into what I recognized as our aunt Yvette's subdivision. What I did not expect to see was at least twenty cars parked in her yard and on the curb.

I didn't move an inch once the car was parked. Dana leisurely strolled around the car and swung my door open. "We're already here so you might as well get out of the car." I could have been petty and called P to come get me, but I figured I might as well play along, go inside, and see what was waiting for me.

A shiver coursed down my arms as we walked up the driveway. "You know I hate you right?"

"Don't hate me, hate Naima and your mom."

As Dana opened the front door we were met with a roar of laughter and chatter coming from the back of the house. My eyes landed on a large white banner that read, "Soon To Be Mrs. Nelson" in large gold lettering and the light bulb immediately turned on.

Dana winced when I slapped her shoulder. "Next time you bring me to a bridal shower could you please tell me to put on something...I don't know, more appropriate?"

I was highly underdressed for the occasion and it was all her fault. Adorned in one of P's oversized burgundy sweaters, black tights, and my favorite pair of Nike Air Max's that had seen better days, I was literally dressed how I was feeling that day—tired.

She shot back, "Hey I did try. I told you not to put on those shoes or that big ass sweater. Next time take my advice Ms. Stubborn."

My reply was quickly forgotten once my eyes landed on my mother and my Aunt Lesia prancing down the staircase. They simultaneously took a sip out of their wine just before their attention landed on me.