02.

"There's a reason I chose you

"There's a reason I chose you."

I scoffed softly as I read the text that had appeared on my phone, rolling my eyes I didn't even have to check who the sender was because I knew that it wouldn't be a name but rather the word 'unknown.'

My kidnapper. Or, as he prefers me to call him, boss.

I remember that when I had asked him for his name, he refused to tell me what it was and instead told me to call him Unknown.

I remember scoffing and responding with something along the lines of; "Yeah, and I'm Torchic. This isn't Mystery dungeon because even if I don't remember who I am, it doesn't mean that I'm a pokemon."

He simply chuckled at me and at the time, I didn't know if he was laughing at me or with me. Instead of responding to me, he had changed the subject to state with clear words that I was his assistant and he was my boss. I didn't know why he was so insistent on it but I just kinda went along with it. I didn't know what else to believe at that moment after all. 

My fingers tap each of the letters on the keyboard of my phone to word my message back to him. I didn't remember much about my past self, I just remember waking up in a hospital with some cash and a phone only to be snatched away before I could get a grasp of anything. Typing out messages as quickly as I was doing felt so natural. I was probably some kind of phone addict, I guess.

"And why is that?"

When I had sent my message, I stared for what I believe was a minute at my phone screen waiting for a message. Realising that he probably wasn't going to reply now, I leave the chat, sighing before planning to return back to the chatroom full of strangers.

But, before I could do that, my phone burst out into a tune. Startled, I nearly dropped the phone out of my hand but managed to grab it quickly before it could fall. The caller ID was three numbers and after a few seconds of confusion I realised who it was. I accepted it and put the phone to my ear.

"He-hello?" I respond first, not actually sure what his voice would sound like. It felt strange to talk to a stranger through a phone after speaking to them once through text.

"Codename MC, hell-"

"Unknown?" I interrupt without thinking, the voice sounding so similar to the man who didn't reply to my text and the same man I was still not used to calling my boss. The only difference in the voice was that it was slightly more optimistic and... excited. Maybe it was just the phone or maybe he was happy I was co-operating.

"Unknown?" The voice repeated a tone of confusion replacing his excited one. I mentally cursed at myself as I remembered that the caller ID was 707 and not Unknown. I had barely just entered and I was already exposing myself.

"I-Uh... that's who it says you are... who are you? I don't have your number saved," I quickly covered up my lie, hoping he would take the bait. I mean, I would believe that. It seemed pretty legit.