Chapter 42

Last night was Taehyung's first night in the hospital and the doctor said he would be discharged exactly a day after Christmas. I didn't know what to feel finding out that I won't get to spend my Christmas with the man I love. It's 4 more days to Christmas, and I'm going to have to spend my time at home alone.

I remembered clearly today that the doctor would be seeing him today and checking on him, including the thing about him forgetting his feelings as a part of him losing his memory.

After a not-so-superb breakfast, I got out of the apartment and went straight to the hospital. It was somewhere around 11 in the morning. So I guess that would be an ideal time for the doctor to finish checking up on him.

Once I reached the hospital, I immediately went to his ward. When I knocked and went in, oddly no one was there. As soon as I headed out, there he was, with a nurse watching him over, walking back to his ward.

I quickly stumbled my way up to him like an idiot.

Way to go, Jinni.

"Hi," I awkwardly waved my hand to him.

He looked up from the floor, surprised and slowly nodded his head. "Hi."

"What were you doing?"

He turned his head to the nurse slowly, as if asking her to tell me instead of telling me himself. The nurse quickly realised what he meant and looked at me.

"Mr Kim had to go to his medical checkup with the doctor this morning," She said shortly and continued placing her hands in front of her navel.

"Oh, I see," I trailed off. So he already did have the medical checkup earlier.

I realised he was walking as if he's experiencing pain in his foot and immediately offered to help by slinging his arm onto my shoulder.

"I'm fine, you don't have to do that," He pulled his hand away a little too strongly before it even landed on my right shoulder.

I was left in dismay and embarassment as my hands still clung in the air from the result of his action. After feeling my face turning red, I quickly pulled my hand away. "Oh."

The nurse sensed a ball of awkwardness in the air and left without saying anything, once we're in the room. I turned to him who was fixing himself on the bed and walked to him hesitantly.

"How are you feeling today?" I asked once I sat on the chair beside him.

"Good," was all he said.

"Great, that's great," I nodded and chose to look somewhere else to hide the feeling of hurt. "How are you taking this in?"

"Honestly, I don't feel comfortable with you hanging and pestering around me," Those words shot me like a thousand arrows.

"That wasn't what I meant," I took a deep breath.

"Then, what is it that you meant?" He raised his eyebrow.

"I meant the accident and the memory loss you're experiencing," I paused and bit my lip, "how are you taking that in?"

"Oh," He looked taken aback for a while and remained silent for a few seconds to think of an answer to that. "It's not nice, but I can only blame the circumstances. So, I guess I'm trying to accept it."

"Good, good," I swear to god I've been nodding my head at everything he said like I'm a bobble head.

"How was the meeting with the doctor todat?"

"It was fine," He replied in a monotone.

"That's all?"

"What else do you want me to say?" He raised his hands in frustration.