Chapter 9

Roses pov

"Jack... Jack Jack", I said know my sleep. My eyes then started to open to see a red haired curl and a blonde boy, "Joe.. Joe Josephine, Jack?", I rubbed my eyes with my head in a complete spin and daze. They just continued to stay in my face and whispered. They then ran off down stairs. I then proceeded to get out of bed and investigate to what they're doing. My body ached all over and a massive headache raged on in my head like a war. I then heard their footsteps come up the stairs.

"Oh!", they marched in with a tray of breakfast for me and placed it on my lap.

"We love you mommy", they each gave me a kiss on the head. Awwwwww. "Mommy we have to go to school now", Josephine spoke.

"Oh ok. Have a good day", they then went out the door and went off to school. Leaving me alone in my house. And with my head in blur.

Jacks pov

I can't focus at all. Was that Rose? Is she alive? WHAT AM I DOING HERE! I banged on my desk causing all of the kids to look up at me. Whoops. The bell rang signalling the end of the day. But no, I have detention with Jack and Josephine.

They caught up to me in the hall. "Hey Jack! What ya do'in?"

"Taking care of you in detention that's what I'm doing", we then entered the class room only to see Ms Rocker at the desk where I'm meant to be sitting, "Ms Rocker this is a surprise"

"Likewise, but Mrs Moore sent me here to take Jack and Josephine and not you. She feels it's best that you go home and rest after what happened yesterday afternoon"

"No. I feel completely fine", I fought back trying not to leave them here with this wicked wrench!

"I'm sorry but it's her orders. Now Jack, Josephine take a seat while Mr Dawson here leaves us", they then both leave my side.

"Bye Jack", they sadly said wobbling away from me.

"What did you two call him?!", Ms Rocker spoke up going to correct them again.

"No no no. It's quite alright. I told them that they can call me that. We have a understanding with one another", that shut her up. I then made my exit and went back home.

*5 o'clock at night*

There was banging on the door. I opened it to find Jack and Josephine in tears and immediately embracing me.

"Shhhhhh shhhhhh you're alright now. You're safe", I comforted them. They then both pulled away for me to see a fresh blue blood bruise and scratch and whip marks all over their small bodies. They were traumatised. They couldn't stand me looking at them so they cuddled me again. "Hey hey. What about we have some dinner and then get you guys cleaned up huh?", they both shyly nodded. "Awwwww come here", I cuddled them as tight as I could making them laugh.

"Jack let us go!", words escaped from Josephine.

"Alright go and sit down at the table", they then immediately bolt out into the kitchen I then trial behind them fetching out dinner.

***

"Thank you Jack"

"You're welcome Jack", i replied to him making us all smile, "now how about you guys go and have a bath", they then both slyly nodded as I then escorted them to the bathroom.

I got them fresh clothes and towels to get dressed and dried in. I helped them scrub off the dirt and dry blood off their bodies. They were a bit shy and ashamed of their bodies when they got undressed. But I just had to reassure them. They were then happy splashing around in the bath and making a giant mess and getting me wet. They were back to their old,cheeky selves.

*after the bath*

The kids and I kept running around playing games in my house like Hide n seek, and cops and robbers. It wore us out to the bone. We then both all bunked on the couch.

"Jack can you read or tell us a story please?", Josephine asked lying on top of me like her older brother, half asleep and yawning.

"Ok. Well what about?"

"Your family, life, travels, girlfriends", she joked. They then both giggled. All I could do was smile at them both.

"Well there was this one girl", I started to tell the story about Rose, "she was very beautiful. She had a fiery sprit that went with her red hair, much like yours Josephine. And she was the most women I've ever met. Quite extraordinary actually"

"Where did you meet her?", younger Jack asked me. I then sucked in the tears and my guilt I had for her letting her go, die.

"On a boat. The biggest most fanciest ship in the world", I over exaggerated for them.

"Wow!", they exclaimed, liking me story, "that's a great story Jack. Is that how you got here?", Josie asked.

"Yeah that's basically it"

"I'm tired", younger Jack yawned closing his eyes and falling asleep on my shoulder and arm.

"Me too", Josephine then did the exact same thing. I couldn't escape them both without waking them up. I then stayed put and fell asleep with them on me.

*2 hours later*

I then awake to see Josephine and Jack on top of me. Oh no. Their mum. Oh shit. I need to get these kids home. She's probably worried sick and called another search party with the police again.

"Josephine , Jack", I nudged them to get up. They then squirmed before their heads lifted, "listen I have to get you guys home"

"Why can't we just stay here Jack", Josephine's head then came crashing down to where it once rested before.

"Because of your mother Josephine. She is probably worried and called the police to come and find you guys again. Come on we need to go", I then remove Josephine off my body while Jack just slid off, "well come on. Let's go", I put my coat on. I waited at the door for them to get off the couch. I then handed them their jumpers they had on when they arrived. They then each took my hand as we walked out of the house and onto the road.

"Jack I don't want to see my mommy. She is mean", Josephine complained to me wanting to stay at my house and keep playing.

"Your mommy isn't mean Josephine. She is just very overprotective of you", I tried to make her see the bright side of her mother.

"No. Mommy doesn't care. She doesn't pay attention to us", young Jack spoke up.

"No. No", I then pulled them both aside, "you can't speak or say stuff about you mother like that. Some children out there have awful parents who drink and beat them with a bottle or their fits. And you two know about that. But what happens if you return home to that everyday? What then huh?", they then both looked to the ground full of guilt not wanting to meet me in the eyes, "you know some kids in the world don't even have parents. They have to live in the streets with no money. And I know that because I've been there. I have no parents or brothers and sisters. It's just me. So you two are very lucky to have mum. A mum who has a house, gives you an education, food the table. Some kids don't even had that. I don't want you complaining about your mum or coming home again", I finished strongly with them, "right now I think we all need a hug", they then both smile again while I squeezed them as tight as I could. We then walked a bit more until I was standing on their front porch.

"MUMMY!!!", they screamed as they opened the door and ran down the hallway. I then heard a familiar voice. I then proceeded to enter.

"Oh hello my darlings", I then walked into the room where they all were. I couldn't see their mothers face but she had curly red hair. She then stood up and looked up at me. I was face to face with Rose...