Chapter 23

Jack (seniors) Pov

The next few days Rose and Joe had annual check ups. At the end of the week they were both discharged with a set of instructions.

Roses were simple. Eat well, get good iron in diet, don't wear corsets, don't exercise to much, stop working!

Josie's was more a list of things of 'what to do and not to do' in her delicate situation of her mind.

We immediately picked up and moved to Santa Monica. We got on the latest train we could get. I sold all of our furniture and the house while I waited for Rose and Josie in hospital.

"Daddy what's that?", Josie pointed to the train, "and who are they?", she looked to Rose and Jack who were standing next to us holding hands.

"That's a train and that's Rose and Jack", I repeated there names for like the tenth time today.

"Hello", she waved to them. While they tried to pull a smile but they were choking on it. We then boarded the train. We then sat in our carriage. "Where we going daddy?"

"Santa Monica", I answered her as I put the bags above.

"Are they coming too?", she asked referring to Jack and Rose.

"Yes. We're all going"

"And what are we going to do there?", she sat in her seat and looked at me and not out the window.

"We're um going to live there. We're gonna draw. Ride horses on the beach. Ride roller coasters till we throw up", she clapped her hands and laughed as did Jack. "And we're all gonna be together and gave fun. And possibly get married", I looked at Rose.

"YAYYYY!", Jack celebrated before jumping on my shoulders. Josephine sat there not understanding what's going on.

"To who daddy?", she asked as I put Jack on the ground after picking him up.

"Wh.. What do you mean?"

"Who are you getting married to?", Rose then got up and left the carriage with Jack.

"I'm getting fresh air", she walked out with him.

"Wait one moment Josie. I'll be right back", I told her as I ran after them, "Rose. ROSE!", I reached her as she broke down in tears, "oh Rose", I hugged her. As she wept. People watched on but I didn't cry, "shhhhh it's alright. We're alright"

"I I I don't know what to do", she clung onto me.

"We're gonna get officially married and we're gonna raise the kids together. I promise Rose. Maybe getting married is a good idea. Then Josie knows that you are her mother. And that Jacks is her brother. It could help her Rose. It could help us"

"But Josie?"

"She'll be fine. One step at a time Rose. One step at a time", she took deep breaths in to calm her down. "Now I'll go in and introduce you to her as my girlfriend who I am going to marry. And you're gonna sit beside her. And get to know her. Talk to her. As simple questions. What she likes what she doesn't like?"

"But what if she doesn't remember  Jack?"

"Getting her to remember isn't the point. Getting to her to know you is the point"

"But what about Jack Jr?"

"He'll be there. Won't you pal?", I pulled him close beside me, "he'll be sitting next to me across the carriage. You've got nothing to worry about. I'll be there to help you if you or her get overwhelmed. Just remain calm Rose", I gave her a tip, "alright?", she nodded, "then let's go then", I lead them back to the carriage and politely knocked on the door. "Joe", I called her as she turned around, "you remember I told you how I was going to get married?"

"A little"

"Well do you want to meet the special girl?", she grinned widely.

"YES DADDY YES!", she bounced in her seat like a kangaroo from Australia.

"Alright now settle down. Now you have to answer every question she asks you to get to know each other better . Is that understood?"

"Yes daddy", I then waved Rose in. She slowly approached the door and stood there.

"Josephine this is Rose. Rose this is Josephine", i introduced.

"Hi", Josie sounded. Rose just stood still like a Popsicle stick.

"Go on. Remember what I told you", I whispered nudging her forward.

"Hi Josephine. May I sit?", Rose asked.

"Sure", she responded, "wow your pretty", she made Rose blush. Me and Jack then sat down looking at the girls, "so what do you do for a living Rose?", Josie asked a question.

"I ah um. I'm an actress. Well trying", Rose responded.

"Josie remember you don't ask questions. Rose does", I pointed at her signalling her to speak.

"So what do you remember about your real mother?", Rose asked pushing Josie to her thinking capacity.

"She was uh.. Um um um", she began to stutter, "where...where is mummy daddy. Wh Wh what hap happened to her?", me and Rose then just looked at each other. I know what I have to do to make this right.

"She died many years ago sweetheart. But Rose is going to be your new mommy now" , she nodded satisfied as was Rose.

"What do you like to do in your free time?"

"Draw", was her immediate answer, "DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW! I LIVE TO DRAW!"

"Would you like to show me some of your work?", Joe then went searching for her sketch book that I bought her while she was in hospital.

"See. Look here. I'm good aren't I?", she flicked through her book. The sun then set and night fell upon us.

Roses Pov

This train ride and baby made me sick. At night I went to the loo and threw up loads of times.

"Rose!", Jack came up to me and pulled my hair back as I threw up for the sixth time this evening in a period of less then an hour.  I then did again and Jack poked his head out the door as it reaks! I just sat myself up against the door trying to breathe.

"I feel terrible Jack", I managed to say.

"You're alright now. You're alright now Rose", he kissed and stroked my sweaty forehead. I then closed my eyes and focused on my breathing while Jack carried me back to our carriage.

"Oh Jack", I said half asleep. He then put me on the end nearest the door on looking Jack snoozing.

"I'll go fetch a bucket", he then left me. I then crashed.

**

I awoke to the sight of Jack holding Josephine in his arms asleep. I then looked at my feet to see an empty bucket that Jack placed there. The more I stared at it the more I needed it. Till I did.

I woke everyone up. I threw up all what I had left within me. Jack crammed himself in a corner. While his father ran out and got some stuff for me.

"What are you puking?", Josie asked. No not now Joe. I then rested my head Jack and tried to breathe. I then wiped my mouth and Jack came in with a few tissues and a glass of water.

"Here drink this Rose", he handed it to me.

"Thank you", the rest of train ride was quiet till we arrived. I preferred not to talk to Josie. As did Jack Jr. Jack just sat and drawed with her. That's basically all she knew. And that's what Jack focused on. He told her different types of trees and for her to draw them down. That was her way of remembering and learning. And as long as she didn't say anything to upset me. I'm ok with that. She was happy, smiling and laughing like nothing was wrong. And that way I want it to be until she gets better.