Chapter 28

* 8 months later*

Jacks pov

Every morning all of us went down to the beach for our early morning stroll. The twins ran up ahead playing with each other while I stayed back with Rose waddling behind because of her massive bump. We held hands and just talked about life in general. The sand crackling and breaking under my feet was satisfying to my ears. But that is nothing compared to the supporting beam that fell on Josephine.

"JOSEPHINE!", me and Rose darted towards her.

"Josie can you hear me?", Jack Jr asked, who jumped out of the way in the nick of time. Me and Rose then shoved him out of the way and looked at her for ourselves. Rose was in utter shock and she couldn't breathe.

"Just calm down Rose everything will be fine", I tried to reassure her, "Josie? Josephine! Can you hear me? It's your daddy Jack!", I yelled at her to wake up. Rose then went behind her to support her head.

"Ja.. Ja..Jack?", she looked up extremely pale with fresh red blood on her hands.

"I'm taking her to a hospital NOW!!", I then picked her up started running to the nearest hospital I know. I tried to support her head as much as possible as well as apply pressure to her bleeding. I then barged into the hospital and handed her over to the first doctor I could find. Seven minutes later Rose and Jack turned up. Rose was sweaty and in a puff.

"Is she alright Jack?", she waddled up to me.

"I don't know", we then all took a seat  and waited anxiously for the doctor.

***

"Mr Dawson", the doctor bellowed, "I'm sorry. But your daughter is dead", a dead silence then stumbled across the room. Everything is different. No one said a word. Rose and Jack Jr then started to cry. Rose hugged and hugged him as close as she could calling for her. Jack struggled to wrap his arms around her cause he was short. But he cried for his sister. The moment I turned around and saw them doing this I broke down in tears. I had failed. I let go of one of the most important rules about parenting. Looking after and protecting your kids. Even if you are in danger. You guard them with your life. I completely failed that. I dropped to my knees beside them and began crying like they did for my daughter. From now on nothing would ever be the same again.

*at home*

Nobody said a word. We shut the door and that was it. Jack Jr went to his room to play and was never seen again. I was trying to do anything that would distract me. But it was Rose sitting in her chair staring into a blank white corner that brought be back to reality. She is dead. She is not coming back.

Rose then started to murmur, "home"

"What was that Rose?", I asked her.

"I want to go home", tears softly fell from her eyes, "not here. Not Chippewa Falls. No place that reminds me of her", she cried."I want a new fresh life, Jack. This baby", she then went straight back to morning again. All I did was hug her. You have to be strong Jack. You have Rose, Jack Jr and this new baby. Josie is in a better place now. No pain. Free to run around do what she wants, draws what she wants, to do what ever she wants. Her life is better up their then down here. But now I have to pick the pieces. I have to be strong.

"Alright. Ok. I understand Rose. I understand", I then kissed her before I continued to hug her as much as I could cause of her stomach. "We're going to get through this Rose. I promise."