Chapter 12

Dinner was quiet and Jess must have seemed like she was a million miles away. With as sigh, she glanced up at the clock. It had been over an hour and Bristol had promised to let her know when she was ready to come back. In her mind, that was more than enough time.

"I hope Bristol gets to feeling better. I really hate seeing her sick-" Ender frowned, not really eating much of anything, "Do you think I maybe... did something to her?"

Jessalyn's eyes grew wide. Yes, he'd done something to her alright, "No, I'm sure she just has a virus. If she was upset at you, she would have told me."

Dansby nodded, "And me. She tells me everything, Ender."

"Dans," Jess rolled her eyes, "You're not her dad. Or her brother. Stop acting like it."

Ender laughed a little, "Told you that'd get you in trouble, didn't I?"

He shrugged, "I'm serious. You better not hurt her."

"I'm not. I love her," He grinned, "I mean, I'm actually IN love with her. In fact, I don't care what she says, I'm going to see her!" Ender jumped up but was quickly stopped in his tracks by Jess.

"No. You can't. She doesn't want to see anyone--"

"You can't stop me, Jess. I mean, I get where you're coming from trying to honor her and all but she's my girl. I want to hold her and make sure she doesn't need anything."

"Ender-" He brushed passed her and Jess stared at Dansby as if he could help. He was just as clueless as Ender but sensed something was going on. He moved to follow Jess as she followed in Ender's steps.

"Bris, princesa?" There was no sign of her in their room, "Bristol?" He checked Dansby's room, then Jessalyn's. He was confused.

"She's really not feeling well," Jess repeated, "She's probably in the bathroom and needs privacy. Let's just go watch a movie. She'll text us when she's feeling some better or if she needs something." She grabbed both of their hands and led them back into the living room.

Ender frowned as he sat down on the couch, but Jess turned to leave the room, "Where are you going, Jess?"

"I need to check my bird feeders, make sure they have seed.." She hurried out the door and pulled out her phone, promptly dealing Bristol's number.

"Is it just me or is something up with Jessalyn?" Ender questioned, his eyes on Dansby.

"I agree-" Dansby frowned, "I'll be back..."

Dansby sighed and moved to the front door. He hurried out and frowned when he saw Jess at the corner of the porch and not near bird feeders at all, "Jess?"

"Dansby!" She jumped and quickly disconnected her call, "You scared me. What are you doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing," He pointed to her phone, "Calling someone?"

"I uh- no. I mean, YES, but... not what you're thinking..."

"Really? Because I think you're calling Bristol..."

She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath, "Fine. It is what it looks like."

"Where is she?" He stepped closer to her, his voice low, "Is she... seeing someone else or?"