Chapter 18

"Come on, Dans." Jess whispered as Dansby took strike two, which would have been a ball had he not swung. It was the top of the seventh and the Braves trailed the Red Sox by just one.

"They got this. They have to have this-" Bristol closed her eyes when she heard the ball make contact with the bat, "Dang it, I can't look-"

"Andrew! NO," Jess groaned when he jumped and robbed Dansby of what would have been a RBI double, "Please."

With that out, the inning was over, and Bristol turned and watched her friend closely. Jessalyn always watched Dans leave the field after he had batted, but that wasn't the case this time. Her attention was in left field and the guy who was running towards the dugout, "Did you see that? Your fiance' waved at you-" Bristol nudged her, "So cute."

"Of course. I waved back-" She still hadn't looked, "I always do."

Bristol rolled her eyes. Something was off and had been off all day, "Okay, what's up with you? You've been acting weird since I left with Ender earlier..."

"What?" Jess met her gaze, "I have not. I don't know what you're talking about."

She pointed to the field where Andrew was in the batter's box, "Does Stud Muffin down there have anything to do with this?"

"Huh?" She was flustered and quickly turned her attention to Dansby who stood in his position on the field and pulled at the strings on his glove with his teeth. She smiled sweetly and wondered in her mind what she'd even been thinking about. She couldn't wrap her mind around being with anyone but Dansby and that was the truth.

"You heard me. You two must have talked when I left-" She took a sip of her drink and bit on the end of the straw as she watched Jess shift a bit nervously, "What's going on with you?"

"It's nothing," She shook her head, "Seriously. I just... he came over and said hi, wanted to know how I knew Ender. I told him we were friends..."

"Jessalyn Murdock, did you even care to mention you were engaged to THE one and only Dansby Swanson who is SO in love with you it's almost sickening?"

"He saw my ring. He knows!" She shrugged, "We were just talking. Don't pretend you didn't want to meet Kris Bryant two months ago when we played the Cubs. You were even giddy to be at Wrigley!"