Lost in the past

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the characters or story lines in this book, they belong to the amazing JK Rowling.
I tried to keep the story line, I just made up what Draco was up to, because we don't get to see much of him most of the time, I also played a little bit with Harry's feelings along the way in order to match the story.
It doesn't have much of a plot, but I think these two needed each other to finally beat their demons, so here it is, enjoy!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

[The sky is so beautiful tonight] Harry thinks as he lays down on the floor, he's on top of the astronomy tower, it's been a couple years since the war, he is allowed into Hogwarts whenever he wants, [I guess they're the perks of being The Boy Who Lived]... although the letters of his counselor must have helped too.

Harry has been seeing a counselor, once a fortnight since the war ended, his demons had been getting out of hand, the war had taken a terrible toll on the boy, and when it became too much Hermione suggested therapy, and Harry agreed, anything to stop the nightmares, he would visit dreadful moments every night during his sleeping hours... the war of course... Kingsley's patronus at Fleur and Bills wedding, the death eaters, the Lestrange Gringotts vault, Ron leaving, jumping into that freezing lake, the snake coming out of poor Bathilda, being caught, those horrible hours in Malfoy Manor, Dobby, the final battle... all those lives lost, Colin, Snape, Remus and Tonks, Fred, face after face of friends, family, strangers that died because they stood on the way of the Dark Lord, because they stood side by side with Harry...

But not only the war, everything, Cedric, the tasks in the Triwizard Tournament, the basilisk lounging at him, Ginny lying on the floor as if dead, Tom Riddle, Quirrel, the cupboard under the stairs where he used to live, Sirius falling through that veil, Dumbledore falling from this same tower...

What brings us to the reason he is lying here tonight [Relive the events while awake Harry, so you won't have to visit them while sleeping] Harry had no idea if that would work, but it sounded as good an advice as any, and he is desperate, desperate to move on from the war, to live the life he never had with the threat of the Dark Lord hanging over him.

Harry lifts his upper body and leans back on his elbows instead, and traces the place with his eyes, they got back just over that rail, and Harry walked under the invisibility cloak to the door, he stopped there when they heard the footsteps, and Draco Malfoy came in from there... he keeps on tracing along, almost being able to see it, and finally Dumbledore tumbled back over the edge, dead, dead because of Harry, again.

He let's out a sigh and lays back down, this doesn't seem to make things better, in fact Harry feels like jumping, exactly from the place where Dumbledore died, but no, he knows he's getting better, he will get better eventually, and with that he feels like crying, although he hasn't cried in a while, he just feels so disconnected, so numb, too numb to cry.

He closes his eyes and hears footsteps [they could almost be real] he thinks to himself while he thinks of the death eaters running back down the tower steps that night, the Carrows, Greyback, Snape, Draco... Harry doesn't know what that name makes him feel anymore, he hasn't seen Draco in a while, and the thoughts of his school nemesis only make him tired, so much time wasted hating a boy who was just as strained as him, he knows Draco is working at Hogwarts, he was always amazing at potions, not that Harry noticed... or maybe he did, but he doesn't want to see him, even thinking of him is painful, it has been a while now since he started wondering... maybe if he had been able to let go of Malfoy's mistakes, maybe if he had been able to see past the image that Dracos dad had so carefully built up for his son, that pure blood supremacy stories that definitely weren't an 11 year old's ideas, maybe they could have made life for each other so much better.

Harry loves Ron and Hermione, they are the best friends he could have asked for, and sitting in the train with Ron and befriending Hermione had been the best decisions of his life, nevertheless, they didn't understand... of course, that they had stuck with him until the very end, Harry couldn't have asked for worthier companions on his fight against Lord Voldemort, Harry could never thank them enough... but they were not part of the prophecy, they could have backed up any time, while he, Harry, was stuck, stuck in expectations and strings of destiny, stuck in the duty of risking his life because it was what was expected of him, he had been marked as The Chosen One, and there had been no way out until he saw it all through... and if someone would have understood that, that would have been Malfoy, it also took Harry a while to figure that out, but in the end they were the same thing, stuck doing things they did not agree to, because it was they're duty, to keep their honor, because it was already written down by older and mightier wizards, by Mister Malfoy in Dracos case, by Dumbledore in Harry's, and in the middle of it all, Voldemort... Harry hates it, that even after dead, Voldemort makes so many lives unbearable, that even after dead, the path of destruction and despair he made, keeps families mourning long lost relatives, and kids that never agreed to become soldiers still battling their own demons.

The footsteps are building up in volume but Harry knows this by now, it always happens, sometimes memories overtake him, sometimes he doesn't know where he is anymore, he doesn't know if he's lying down in the astronomy tower, reliving that night, or if he's standing next to the door, unable to move due to shock while death eaters run down the stairs.

His heartbeat starts to build up, his palms start sweating, and he feels that so familiar panic starting to build inside his chest, but then the footsteps stop and Harry opens up his eyes.

"Potter" says a Shocked Draco Malfoy staring at the guy on the floor, Harry can't make out what he's doing here, it's quite late, and the astronomy tower is not really on the way to go anywhere, yet here they are, both of them. And even tough none of them know, tonight they're battling the same demons, remembering the same night... regretting the same things.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

And here's the first chapter guys! I hope you like it! If you do please vote and comment!
And keep reading!