I never really did

Not a great chapter, I'm sorry guys, bear with me, I promise next one will be better!
If you like it please vote and comment!
Enjoy!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You know what else happened during second year?" Draco says and Harry swears he can hear a smile in his voice, but the blond is staring at the sky, unsmiling.

"What?" Harry asks, he might as well take the bait.

"Well, now that we're friends I feel obliged to confess, a certain someone sneaked into the Slytherin common room, pretending to be Goyle, you know? Imagine who that could be?".

Harry's mind is running wild, one part is trying to think up a story to deny it, another one is wondering how does Draco know and why he never mentioned it? And the other is just in a blind panic.

--------------------------------------------

Draco stays silent for a moment, enjoying the silent panic that seems to be radiating from the boy next to him, "Calm down Potter, I'm not angry about it, I never was".

"How do you even know that?" Harry asks and Draco frowns, he remembers that day, he found Crabbe and Goyle in the hallways, with Percy Weasley telling them off, until then it seemed normal, but his two best friends seemed pretty out of it, and then once in the common room they had looked so out of place that Draco had started to wonder, obviously he had not jumped to the conclusion that they could be someone else in disguise, at first he just thought they were acting for the sake of annoying him, but after a while something seemed specially weird and he knew there had been something funny going on with Potter and his friends, as he started connecting the points he had gone up to the dorms and brought down with him that newspaper clip about Arthur Weasley, the look on Crabbes face had been enough for Draco to guess who he had there.

"Well, it wasn't really that difficult, you might have believed Crabbe and Goyle were kind of stupid, but they were my friends, and I knew them Potter, as well as you knew Granger and Weasley back then. Maybe more, because we grew up together. Wouldn't you have noticed if I tried to impersonate your best mate?".

Harry seems to be deep in thought, Draco can tell that he never thought of it this way, it kind of hurts, to know that Potter thought he was so cold, so above it all that he didn't really bother in getting to know his friends, maybe he thought Draco didn't really have friends at all...

"I never thought about it that way..." he says snapping Draco out of it, he has managed to make himself kind of sad, but then Harry keeps on talking "of course you noticed, I guess I just thought that if you'd had noticed, you would have called us out on it, honestly once we found you I was thinking it was a terrible idea, because you would be able to tell soon enough that we were not your friends and then we would be in so much trouble, but you never did, I was surprised you didn't notice truth be told, now I know you did. Why didn't you say anything?"

Draco feels better. "Well, I was thinking along the same lines as you. I knew people had started to blame you for the attacks after the dueling club, my trick with the snake kind of backlashed and I felt guilty for the way the school found out about your affinity to snakes, and then I also supposed you would try to find the real culprit, because that's what you do, what you always did... and all the lines lead back to me, I was ought to be your first suspect, the famous Golden Trio never liked me, I turned over in my mind the idea of talking to you, but I didn't know how to approach you, you seemed down, I wanted to tell you I didn't believe that you were the Slytherin heir, I had no idea who it was, but I wanted to help... then in the end you made the decision for both of us, and it was great from my point of view because I wouldn't have to do much, I didn't even have to be nice, so once I realized it was you two, I told you everything, I even tried to comfort you, but I'm pretty sure you didn't notice, it's just that there was no other way of doing it if I was to keep my Malfoy manner, I just laughed at the idea of you being Slytherins heir, I hoped it would be enough for you to realize not everyone thought you were doing all those horrible things and yet all I managed is that you two suddenly looked so excited, I guess you were waiting for me to confess, after telling you it was not me, I wanted you out of there... I had been waiting to talk to you, and yeah I was happy that you fixed that for us both, but still it was quite a privacy breach, a few insults that I didn't really mean and the fact that your hour was up was enough for you to bail, I never told anyone...".

"That was... very nice of you?" Harry says and Draco can hear the confusion in his voice.

"No need to be so confused Potter, when are you going to understand that I wasn't really the bad guy here, at least until I was forced to chose."

"I never thought you were the bad guy, I just... I was just so sure that you hated me, that it was just this thing you had with me, and I mean, I was breaking about 50 different rules and besides you're right it was a huge privacy breach... so it's just weird, thinking that even back then you were trying to help me, why were we never honest about what we wanted? Why did all of our interactions came in form of hostilities or plotted encounters?"

"I don't know Harry" says Draco and he's surprised to hear the tired tone in his voice "I wasted a lot of time trying to hate you, and the only thing it earned me was your hate in return, because I never managed, I know you thought I hated you, but I never really did".

"And you think I did?" Harry sounds sad, as if the possibility of Draco thinking so is overwhelming.

Draco stares at the other boy, who is staring at the sky, refusing to meet the blonds stare, he never thought that this could happen, this night, whatever it is, lying down in peace, talking about the past... about a past he had been refusing to even acknowledge for almost 2 years, a very dark past, to Harry Potter of all people.

He takes in the messy black hair, it hasn't changed one bit since their school days, the way his hands are interlaced and laying on his stomach, and his legs are crossed at the ankles, and then Harry turns his head and finally their eyes meet, [beautiful green eyes] Draco thinks but what's even more beautiful is the emotions showing behind them, Draco can see his own emotions reflected back at him, all the regret, and the shame, the sadness, emptiness, but also, and most importantly, love, the same magic that had kept Harry alive so many times, now keeps him going, that was always his strongest quality, Draco always knew, that no matter what the world threw at him Harry never lost the love for life itself, the love for all the people he shared it with.

The ability to love... everyone, anyone, maybe even a former rival, and with that Draco smiles.

"Now I know you didn't".