The weight of the world

"I feel... better" says Draco out loud, testing the sound of those words, how true they feel. The smile that Harry gives him is breathtaking, and Draco can't help but smile back, so natural, it's nice to be smiling again.

"I'm glad to hear it".

Draco nods, and thinking it's past time they moved on he asks "is it true that Barty Crouch Jr. put your name in the goblet of fire?".

Harry moves around uncomfortably, takes his hands up to his head and lays that way instead before speaking "yeah, it was such a weird year, I had been thinking I'd finally get a year of peace, and enjoy watching and cheering for the Hogwarts champion, but everything backfired, I ended up entering the Tournament against my will, doing things I couldn't manage, without my best mate by my side, and it all ended horribly...".

Draco remembers the Tournament, his father had mentioned it countless times during the summer, things had started going badly since then, with the Quidditch World Cup; he had been so excited when father showed him the tickets, it's not that he wasn't expecting them because he was, father always got the best things thanks to his countless connections, it was the first thing he had taught Draco; but it had sounded nice, a getaway alone with his father, bonding time and what not, even if it was in the limited way that his family name allowed. But then hell had broken loose, father advised him to go out of the tent before he left, and to stay close to the woods preferably, but did not explain anything else, so even tough Draco took his fathers advise to heart and left for the edge of the woods a bit after he left, the ordeal took him by surprise, tents on fire, terrorized people everywhere, the muggles floating high in the air in a sick manner, and then the masked man marching, leaving chaos along their wake, and for the first time Draco had been ashamed of being a Malfoy, for he couldn't ignore that even though he was quite far from the camp, he knew for sure that his father was out there wearing a mask... seeing Harry and his friends hadn't helped either, his cool facade had crumbled a little when they asked if his father was out there marching, he had felt more alone than ever once they left, and then when the dark mark shot up and edged itself onto the sky, father had suddenly been by his side, as agitated as Draco had ever seen him, he grabbed his arm and Appareated them to the Manor, Draco didn't ask why, not even if Lucius had been okay, for in his home questions were never asked, but eventually he found out why his father had been so scared, and it came as no surprise, Lucius Malfoy had always been a coward, but Draco had looked up to his dad, like every kid does, it was no ones fault that he had had one that was no good role model at all. When his father had mentioned the Tournament he had always been sure to mention how proud he would be if Draco were to win it, his son! His Draco! Winning the Triwizard Tournament! What an honor! But again, to be expected of a Malfoy... Draco had gotten himself up to the task of reading about the so called Tournament, and he hadn't liked what he read one bit, of course the promise of unmeasurable glory and all that sounded appealing, but the tasks in years past had been nearly impossible, and the death toll was too high for a school event... still Draco had left on September 1st to Hogwarts ready to enter his name, excited by the idea of making his father proud, for once; he had been almost too relieved when Mr. Crouch had announced the age rule, still, he had complained loudly to Blaise about it like he was ought to do, everything had been nice, the students from Durmstrang were cool and he had gotten to practice his French with some girls from Beauxbatons, the year was looking up, maybe it'd be a good one after all, that was until Harry's name got picked by the Goblet of Fire. It had been dreamlike, or more like nightmarish, Dumbledores voice had seemed to echo inside Draco's head, and when Harry had gotten up and started walking towards the end of the hall all that Draco could think about was the deaths he had read about, when Harry went out and the Slytherins started laughing at the absurdness of the whole thing Draco hadn't joined, he had been staring at the arch Harry had gone through with one thought running through his head [I thought you were safe].