Better off without them

Harry struggles for a second to stop the tears but to no avail, and he doesn't care honestly, still he makes an effort to even his breath.

"I'd been dying to get that off my chest for a while" he mumbles and Draco just nods besides him. It had been a huge turning point for Harry, he had always found ways to justify his and Malfoys hateful relationship, the way he called Hermione a "mud blood" whenever the chance presented itself, his way of walking around like he owned the whole place, his comments about the Weasleys, but then hate had been too strong a word and Harry always knew it, never did it cross his mind to try and hurt Draco, let alone kill him, and that was what he almost did, the fear of him actually dying had hit him with such force he had been a step away from panic, of breaking down, the regret and the pain had been so real they had scared him, he had been so relieved... for the first time in his life he has been relieved of seeing Snape, and the whole school knowing, the murderous stares the Slytherins threw at him, Hermione's lectures, even being unable to play with his team the Quidditch final hadn't felt like enough punishment for what he'd done.

[I nearly killed him] he thinks to himself staring at the boy, he wonders if things would have been different, and he's not thinking about if Draco hadn't let the death eaters in, or the repercussions his actions had, but about what would have happened to Harry is he had actually killed Draco? Would he have been able to keep himself together? Able to keep on moving forward? The blond boy lets out a small sigh and Harry shakes his head [I think not.]

"Hey, Potter" Harry's about to protest the use of his surname but stops, Draco lets go of his hand and before Harry's disappointment can show, he wipes it on his robes and interlaces their fingers again, he seems nervous "I... I mean I think I know, but still I don't want to misunderstand this whole situation, so...".

Draco doesn't seem able to finish his thoughts so Harry squeezes his fingers and gives him what he hopes is an encouraging smile.

"I mean I just want to make sure you are... you know... gay?" The laugh leaves Harry's lips before he can really stop himself but the hurt look that flashes through Draco's eyes stop it.

"Of course I'm gay! Haven't I been hitting on you for a while now?" Harry never considered himself subtle, no one who has ever met him has considered him so, nor subtle, nor observant, so he assumed Draco knew what he was all about, surely he couldn't miss all the times he has told him how cute or hot he is tonight, or all the hints about how much he always cared, or all the times Harry stared at him for minutes on end during feasts and quidditch matches...

"Well I wasn't sure" is the blond boy's answer [well, seems like he did miss all of that].

"You're way too adorable" he says and Draco blushes, Harry is pretty sure there are thousands of different adjectives that would fit the boy in front of him, going from hot and handsome, to fascinating, dazzling, just gorgeous, but this nervous, fumbling, oblivious and blushing Draco Malfoy is honestly adorable "and, are you going to tell me if I've been hitting on a straight guy the whole night or what?".

Harry knows there's no way that Draco can be straight, yeah; he's not the most observant person but still, if there's something or more accurately said someone who he always payed attention to, it is Draco, still the words send a rush of excitement through him.

"No, I'm totally gay".

It's great to know, Harry wonders how long Draco has known, it was kind of confusing for Harry at first, but those around him had helped him figure everything out, it's amazing what a supportive surrounding can do, it's what kept him going for so long during the war, support and the fact that people believed in him, and that didn't change when he decided he liked boys, love is love right? And then he can't help but wonder if Draco ever came out to his family, or his friends, if he ever had the support Harry himself had... during their years at Hogwarts Draco's parents didn't seem very supportive, if anything they seemed ready to pressure their child into perfection, as for his friends, Harry can't really judge, he never gave himself the chance to get to know them...