Mr Blue Eyes

Insomnia filled my deep dark nights, and tiredness plagued my days. The hours throughout the darkness seemed to fade away, passing in extreme slowness. Each hour disappearing as if it had never existed - that's the thing with time; it passes, it carries on no matter what sickening things happen on this planet. Time waits for nobody.

As each number morphed into another on my pink digital alarm clock on my bedside table, my mind continued to think about Hunter. I was exhausted, I hadn't had a good nights sleep since that day Hunter and I fought - my gut was telling me to pick up the phone and ring him, ask for his help. But it was too late for help, I'd made my bed and I had no choice but to lie in it now.

Losing the one person you could always depend on, has to be the most heartbreaking thing you could ever encounter. Hunter had even stopped hanging out with our group altogether, he'd always come into registration at the very last minute to sign in and then he'd leave, blanking all of us. Liam had been off with me since Hunter and I had the argument in the cafeteria, and honestly I don't blame him. He's lost his best friend too; and it's all my fault.

Just as the burning rays of sun light beamed through the small cracks of the blinds in my window, my body began to shut off. Sleep finally took over me, allowing me to forget my heartache for just a few hours.

***

It was Friday morning and tonight the biggest party of the year was being held, and I'd officially ran out of excuses to not go to it. After a considerable amount of persuasion, Luke decided I could go if he tagged along too. I hadn't been to a party in years, and I was really looking forward to it. It's a chance to let my hair down, and forget all about the dramas. I had to make the most of it, considering Luke rarely ever lets me go to these gatherings with all our friends.

"Are we getting ready at my place or yours Grace?" Olivia asked, we were all sat round our usual table for morning registration. 

"Mine. Mum will be fine with it and you could stay round after the party too?"  I suggested, my eyes flickered to the empty chair next to Liam; a mixture of pain and sorrow spiralling within me.

"Sounds like a plan señorita." Olivia smiled, Liam and I silently stared at one another, our eyebrows knitted closely.

"What? I'm really into Spanish at the minute!" Olivia giggled.

"You never fail to make me laugh Liv." Liam smiled, staring at her in ore.

There was a glimmer of emotion in Liam's eyes; an affection I had never seen him sport before. His face lit up like a christmas tree, hope sinking in all the crevices on his tanned face. Olivia took every inch of darkness away that gloomed inside his soul, igniting it with fireworks; making his life worth living again after all the loss he's experienced. Liam's the typical male teenager, settling down had never been on his mind. But right now, I could tell that was all he could think about.

Liam looked at Olivia the very same way I once looked at Luke, with love and admiration.

Liv clearly had no clue about Liam's feelings for her, but I couldn't help but wonder if Hunter knew about this all along and had never told me.

Liam had always been a mystery to me; a jigsaw puzzle with so many pieces it was impossible to put them together and understand. But now I understood; all he ever needed was someone to be his light, someone to guide the way and that person is Liv. The thought of my two best friends riding off in the sunset together filled me with glee. They both deserve a bit of happiness, I needed to make this happen. After all, maybe Olivia does feel the same way about Liam.