So Young, So Damaged

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS CONTENT OF SELF HARMING

***

Don't forget to vote, comment and add this book to your library for frequent updates 💜

***

"Where the hell have you been young lady?" My mother demanded, the minute I stepped foot inside our house.

Hunter had insisted on walking me home, so slowly we strolled hand in hand enjoying each others company. It wasn't long before we reached the front door, Hunter proceeded to kiss me goodbye and told me he would call me later.

"I am not in the mood for this Mum!" I groaned, holding my head where it was pulsating from a oncoming migraine.

"I do not care if you are in the mood for this or not Grace! You need to talk to me... now!" Mum shouted, making me wince. Her shouting was doing no well for my already apparent headache, all I wanted was to curl up in bed and sleep.

"What is there to talk about, mother?" I sighed, sick of the conversation that had yet to begin.

Mum began to laugh drily, "You called the police on Luke! The poor innocent boy is now being held in a cell all because of your pathetic lies, Grace. I think you have some explaining to do." Mum scowled, her eyes narrowing into mine.

A hurtful pang hit me, confirming that my mother still did not believe Luke had been abusing me. Then again how could I expect her too? All in a matter of a few weeks Luke and I had gone from being the seemingly perfect couple, to now me being a domestic abuse victim. People refused to believe it was the truth, choosing to not see through Luke's charade of a nice person. I could not blame those either, after all I believed in him and saw the good in him too.

Taking a deep breath, I looked deeply into my mothers eyes, "I am not lying Mum. Luke abused me for almost two years, why would I lie about that? I loved him Mum, I really did; but all he ever done was kick me, punch me, nearly kill me-"

"That is enough! Shut up!" She screamed, her eyes wide in anger.

An uncomfortable silence filled the house, my body shuffled in place; hating the awkwardness that I now had to come home too each night.

"Go to your room! I am going to call the police, and tell them the truth about your fabricated lies. I will not allow you to ruin Luke's life, if you want to ruin your own go ahead; but not his." She spoke, every word containing such meaning.

My breath hitched, my mind unable to process how my mother was willing to let me get charged for wasting police time in order to protect Luke. It made me wonder does she even love me? Her own daughter? Luke was nothing to her, bar a possible son in law; but even though the relationship is over, she still continued to take his side. She saw him as the prodigy boyfriend; the best man I could ever possibly have.

My mother knew nothing, and that simple fact; it broke my heart.

All these years she'd failed to see through my false smile, and my fake happiness. She'd believed it just like everybody else around me did, no-one ever knew how utterly broken I was. All I ever wanted was her to realise, to hold me tight and to protect me with all her might. But that never happened, I had to face Luke's abuse on my own for two years; so if I had to face watching him get charged on my own, then so be it.

I ran up the stairs, throwing myself onto the bed, allowing all the tears out that had been locked up inside me; my white pillow silencing the sound of my cries. The entire time Luke had been domestically abusing me I'd felt alone, but this; this was a whole other level of loneliness. Having Hunter and Liam around made me feel somewhat strong, but not having my Mum, Step-dad or Olivia nearby was soul crushing. Times like these are when you need the support of your family, but they'd chosen to shut me out; leaving me to wonder where I had gone wrong in life.