Sun, Sea and Freedom

2 MONTHS LATER

Just as Hunter yanked the handbrake up and took the keys out of the ignition, I clapped my hands together in pure excitement. We were finally here, we were finally at the airport - just hours away from getting onto our flight to the Canary Islands. I'd been waiting weeks for this, and each week had dragged as slowly as the last.

"Never in all my seventeen years of knowing you, have I ever seen you this excited!" Hunter chuckled, before letting out a gigantic yawn.

Purple bags circled under his eyes; he was exhausted. Hunter had never been an early bird, and waking up at 3am this morning to drive to the airport was definitely a gigantic chore for him.

"Wake up sleepyhead! You need to get moving and get some coffee into you! We're at the freakin' airport!" I screamed, totally forgetting that Liam, Olivia and Leo were all asleep in the back seats.

Quiet groans, and muffled shushes quickly appeared from behind us, along with Liam telling me where to stick myself for waking him up at this unearthly hour.

"Come on guys, time to wake up! We need to check in, and get some breakfast into us before we get on the plane." Hunter spoke softly, which was much more appreciated by the back seat travellers than my overly excited scream.

After what felt like forever, finally everyone was out of the car and dragging their suitcases along the tarmac towards the huge glass doors. I could not quite believe I was here, ready to travel on my holiday of a lifetime with all of my amazing friends.

Somewhat I felt like I deserved a holiday, so spending all my savings money on an all inclusive holiday felt like the right thing to do. My mum had told me it was for a car, or in the case of an emergency - but I needed a break, after everything I had been through I felt like I should enjoy life and take opportunities when they come.

It had been two whole glorious months since the trial ended, when the jury came to the decision that Luke was guilty of attempted murder and domestic abuse. After much decision the judge concluded that Luke would ultimately spend 10 years behind bars for the attempted murder, and a further 4 years for the domestic abuse charges. All in all Luke will be spending fourteen years behind bars before he ever sees the light of day, and during that time he is to receive rehabilitation and counselling for his mental issues.

I'd moved back home with my parents - leaving Liam's was not an easy decision but it was time to make amends and fix the broken bridges. My mother is and always will be my life long best friend, sure she'd let me down but she'd vowed to never do that again. We only ever get one mum, and we need to cherish them whilst we can.

The last three years had certainly not gone the way I had expected them to, but all I could focus on now was the foreseeable future. My life with my friends, and my family was all that mattered and I was slowly coming back around to loving life and living each day as if it was my last.

***

There were huge plasma screens of arrivals and departure times on the walls of the airport, and large groups of people beginning to line up at the check in desk with suitcases and baggage. In the background soft pop music chimed from the speakers, it was taking everything I had to not dance on the spot in excitement.

Once we'd checked in, we headed towards one of the restaurants for a full English breakfast. It was compacted of a mixture of bored and excited people. The majority looked as though they were sat at work, fed up and looking forward to going home. But the families, and children looked like they were waiting for Santa himself to arrive. You could practically see the excitement streaming off their faces.