Like Father, Like Son

Don't forget to vote, comment and add this book to your library for updates 🌸

***

After a horrific few hours of constant questioning, Hunter and Liam were now escorting me home. Leo had to head home a few hours before during the middle of my questioning, he had to ensure his house was clean before his parents returned from their holiday but he'd sworn he'd check up on me later.

I sighed, my face felt tight from the constant tears that had fell and dried on my parched skin. Today had been the worst day of my life, although I was relieved that part of it was over. Going home was the last thing I wanted to do, but I knew I had to face it eventually.

"Do you want me to come in with you when we get to yours, Grace? I might be able to help you explain to your mum about the police." Hunter whispered, his shoulder gently brushing against mine.

Normally, just his touch was enough to make me exhilarated. But right now, I felt sad. Hunter's presence, touch, nor smile was neither lifting or improving my mood in the slightest.

"I guess so, but you do realise they won't believe you Hunter." I laughed, finding humour in the lack of care my parents had failed to give me lately.

Just knowing that my parents thought I was lying, made me wonder if they really knew me. My mum had barely been around when I grew up, she'd worked constantly to provide and ensure that I had everything I needed. Little did she know, I would of preferred her company than all the toys she showered me with instead.

"Hold on a minute," Liam began, "Your parents didn't believe you, when you told them about Luke?" His face contorted into a scowl, his tone of voice lowering to the familiar angry voice that overtook Liam from time to time.

"No they don't believe me, but it's fine." I forced a smile towards him, "I know it is the truth, and that is all that matters."

Liam smiled towards me proudly, but underneath the happy face - I knew he felt sympathetic. Liam had never had it easy, but his dad was his best friend closely behind Hunter. Through thick and thin his Dad had been there to back him up, even when Liam had a pregnancy scare with a girl when we were all in Year 11; his Dad told him he would provide him with whatever he needed. Parents like that were the ones I needed, but failed to have.

"You know today is the first step towards the rest of your life, once he gets charged you can move on with your life Grace." Liam's hand reached mine, "You need to know how proud I am, how proud both of us are that you done what you did today. Reporting him was so incredibly brave, you are such a strong person. Everything you have been through would've broken someone, but it did not break you. You are the strongest woman I know."

My face blushed a tomato red, compliments from Liam were rarely heard nor ever said. His opinions were ones that mattered very deeply to me, and in this case I was ecstatic that he was proud of me.

Hunter grabbed my other hand, beginning to speak, "He's right, we are both so proud-"

"There she is!" A high pitched voice appeared behind me, making my whole body jump in fear.

Before I knew it, someone had a tight hold of my long, chestnut hair. My scalp stung in pain, strands being ripped away from where they had spent years growing. Whimpering, I stared in front of me; petrified of who was stood before me.

"You are a liar! How dare you make up those things about my younger brother?" Carly yelled, her voice filling the entire street.

My stomach swirled with nerves, over all the people who could possibly audibly hear the argument that was about to unfold. Carly was Luke's older sister, luckily she no longer attended the same school as Luke and I. She'd finished high school last year, leaving to go to college to study childcare. Liam quickly grabbed me, pulling me behind him in an attempt to protect me.