You Don't Destroy People You Love

Don't forget to vote, comment and add this book to your library for updates 🌸

***

The sun began to set behind the trees, leaving the sky to turn a depressing black. Pure silence filled the bleak woods, leaving me feeling content. Being alone was what I needed; I hated the endless drama that seemed to follow me. I needed simplicity, and I hoped one day I could have a normal teenage life.

Nothing in my life had ever been normal. Growing up having to cope with my parents divorcing, my father then moving out to never be seen again and then my Mum and I moving in with my step-dad; it was difficult. I often wondered what would of happened if my father had never left in the first place, then maybe life would have been better, maybe I would of never of met Luke. Another thing I could possibly blame on my father, was that the abuse may never have happened in the first place had he been around to protect me.

I wrapped my arms around my body, trying to frighten off the goosebumps that were taking over my body from the chilly, summer evening breeze. Summer was supposedly warm, but in England the temperatures always plummeted at night.

My thoughts kept wondering back to Luke; reminding myself of the relationship I had recently given up. The talks we'd had about the future were ones I had always treasured, and I had kept a notebook in my drawer in my bedroom with dreams of the life we had planned together. Luke and I had picked out our childrens names, where we would to raise our family, and small details of our wedding. Marrying him, and spending the rest of my life with him was something I looked forward to a few weeks ago.

But all in short amount of time, everything had changed. Luke had now been arrested for assault, whilst also being questioned for accusations of domestic violence. The future we had planned together was over, and even though the occasional pang would hit me for the loss of the love of my life. I felt somewhat relieved that he was out of my life for good, no longer could he hit me and use me as he pleased.

Moving on was going to be the hardest part of all. Leaving the memories behind that we had built up over the years, and finding someone new were just a few things I already dreaded. I often questioned myself over whether I would ever able to trust a man again, or would I always expect them to lash out on me when they got angry?

Life, the future was all a massive blur. I had no idea where life would take me next, or who would come or go. All I did know was that I had to become myself again, the girl who was strong and could stand up for herself. The Grace that everybody loved and missed, she had to return and I could not let Luke win any longer.

My head shot round, the loud sound of a twig snapping behind the bushes beside me. My breathing suddenly got quicker, heavier. Was it natural for me to still be scared, considering Luke's locked up in a police station miles away from here?

"Thank god, I was beginning to worry sick about you." I sighed in relief, smiling at Hunter who was scraping through the green leaves to sit with me.

"You didn't need to follow me, Hunter." I whispered, patting the ground beside me.

"I'd follow you across the world if I had too. You know how much I care about you." Hunter sat down, his hand quickly finding mine between the blades of green grass.

I sighed, suddenly realising the sudden change in our relationship. One minute we were best friends, and now we seemed so much more. We were closer, more intimate.

"What are we, Hunter?" I asked, squeezing his hand.

Hunter turned to face me, his hand reaching towards my cheek. Delicately his finger brushed across the purple swollen skin, somehow encouraging it to heal. Hunter's touch was truly magical, each time it became more intoxicating. I was addicted to every ounce of him, every moment we spent together was pure bliss.