Bruises Fade But Scars Remain Forever

***

"So in Coordinate geometry you have to draw a line between the two points to create a right angled triangle, then use Pythagoras' theorem to work out the length of the line." I explained, drawing all the necessary diagrams on the piece of paper in front of Leo and I. 

After Miss Jaxon explained today's topic, Leo nudged me asking if I was just as confused as he was. I considered lying for a moment, and pretend that I had no clue but then I remembered the teacher called me a maths whiz. I offered to help him, and Leo instantly agreed. I'd always had a tough time with people in our year, calling me names and taking the mick out of my love of math; but for some bizarre reason I felt as if I could be myself around him.

Leo sighed, as he slumped into his chair beside me immediately inhaling a deep breath and then exhaling it slowly, "How do you understand all of this stuff? It honestly fries my brain!"

"My dad's an accountant, I guess it's just in my DNA." I giggled, "Why'd you take math for A Level if you struggle so much with it?"

That was one of the bonuses of sixth form, at the beginning of the year you got to pick what subjects you'd take for the next 2 years. I was beyond happy to drop PE forever, it was my worst nightmare. 

"Well..." Leo drawled whilst scratching the back of his neck, "My parents wanted me to take it, so I chose it and well... it was the biggest mistake of my life." 

  "Didn't picture you as the 'do as your parent ask' kind of guy..."

To me, he seemed edgy; a mischievous glint shimmered in his eye occasionally. The thing with me is I always build a picture up of someone when I first meet them, every so often my intuition would be right but then there are those times where it's incredibly wrong.

For example, the day I met Luke it was completely incorrect.

"What kind of guy did you picture me as then Miss math whiz?" Leo glanced over, the corner of his lips fighting a smile, his eyebrow slightly raised. 

I looked away, not wanting him to see how that look filled me with butterflies. 

"Honestly, I thought you were the rebellious type." My shoulders lifted into a shrug, there was no way in hell somebody as good looking as him was actually good.

After my time with Luke, I knew better than anybody that it was possible for anyone who appears good on the outside could also be all shades of evil within. 

"You think I'm good looking?" Leo smirked, nudging his shoulder against mine. 

Oh god, did I say that out loud?

"Er... I... Shit..." I muttered, quickly grabbing my pencil and returning back to my equations. 

Leo chuckled beside me before standing up out of his chair, "Don't worry Grace. I think you're good looking too." Leo's flirtatious comment finished with a subtle wink.

As he stood up and walked towards the front of the class, my stomach began tightening in knots. Blushing wouldn't have been a problem, but I felt my cheeks radiate with heat enough to know I was as red as beetroot. When I finally tore my eyes off of Leo, I instantly noticed all eyes in the room on me.

Even Luke's best friend, Cal. 

Cal had always been the one to dob me into Luke, he'd told him multiple times about how I was flirting with my chemistry lab partner. He knew that I wasn't flirting, he just wanted to cause problems. He'd never approved of me dating Luke right from the very moment we were introduced to one another, and Luke had told me that if anybody found out about the things he'd done to me then his friends would only hate me more, and my friends would eventually despise me because everyone would find out that it was all my fault.