12 HOURS

Chapter 4

Justin was playing a game on his phone that didn't need any connection to the internet. I had tried to tell him it was a stupid idea and that we should save our batteries in case something happened but he mumbled that it didn't matter; we wouldn't get any signals anyway.

It had been half a day and we were still sitting on the floor. My back was hurting but I didn't complain. We hadn't been talking much and for some reason, our connection had gone away. I didn't feel the same whenever I was around him and I think his true self, was slowly shining through. He wasn't being a jerk but he was not being the same sweet person that I had kissed either.

We didn't mention the kiss, for that matter. We were not talking about our date that happened three nights ago. We didn't talk about anything related to us, which reminded me that we were barely talking at all. It wasn't uncomfortable between us but we were both too exhausted to try and hold a conversation. We had nothing to say anymore. It's like we had said it all.

It did annoy me that he was staring down his phone instead of trying to keep me company. He should know better when he's around people. I know how irritated he gets when people are on their phone around him, why do the same rules not apply to him, in his mind? 

I liked to have my phone to check the time but I got disappointed whenever I looked at it. Time was passing by slowly and considering we had absolutely nothing to do in this elevator, it was a true nightmare.

I sighed for probably the hundredth time today and my stomach growled slightly. I was beginning to get impatient and after all these hours of being stuck in the elevator, I was thinking we were never going to get out of here. If we were, could they please hurry up? Were people even working to get us out of here?

"I should sleep," I muttered but got no response. He didn't show any sign that he had heard me and for that, I actually didn't think he listened. Not that he would be interested in what I was doing anyway, "Time will pass by quicker then."

He didn't answer but I didn't expect him to.

I was shivering as I tried to lay down, using my hands to form some kind of pillow to myself. It was the most uncomfortable sleeping position I had ever been in and it didn't help that the elevator felt so much smaller whenever I laid down by my side. My back hit the cold floor and since I was barely wearing anything, my entire body froze.

My back was turned against Justin, I was doing my best to avoid his little noises that were coming from him and his games. It annoyed me but I didn't have the energy to pick a fight about it. Within a few seconds, all sounds suddenly became quiet and all I could hear now was his breathing. I counted each breath as I imagined his chest go up and down. If I would have been comfortable, I would have turned around but it felt better knowing he couldn't watch me whilst I slept.

"Are you cold?" He suddenly asked and I shut my eyes angrily, hating myself for whimpering out a yes. I expected him to answer me after that but instead, I felt a large jacket go around my body and I turned around to look at him. When I did so, he was holding out a hoodie that he must have been wearing underneath that jacket, "You can use this as a jacket."

I saw him only wearing a t-shirt left and I felt bad for not hesitating on taking the hoodie. Once I had made myself comfortable again, I suddenly felt confident enough to sleep with my front body facing him. It was only so that we could hold a conversation and because I didn't want to seem rude, "Aren't you going to sleep too?"

"No," He shook his head, "I can stay awake, don't worry about me."

"Why?"

"In case something happens," He shrugged and I closed my eyes, feeling my exhausted body go into rest mode. I was really close to falling asleep, I could tell that now. I didn't want to keep myself from sleeping but neither did I want to let him stay awake by himself. My thoughts wandered off to his phone and I wondered why he suddenly stopped playing - my immediate answer was the battery.