AFTER: PART 27

Chapter 37

Someone once told me that if life comes at you unexpectedly, it's your own responsibility to focus on getting yourself back on track. At the end of the day, it's only you who can make sure that life turns out the way you want it to. Currently, standing in the middle of an adoption organisations office and signing the final papers in order to get our child, made me feel like that statement was true.

Seeing our names written in cursive on a paper that was copied into two, one for us to take home, caused all kinds of thoughts erupt in my head. It might be too early, it might make us question it later but right now, it was all we've ever wanted and this moment could not get any better. It was like everything that's ever happened to me made sense, as if it all led to and came down to this. All the struggles I've been through in life, everything was pieced together when I finally felt this happiness. That's the best way I could describe it, pure happiness

"Thank you," Emily, our personal assistance when it came to the adoption, smiled at us and waved the pen that Justin had just returned to her after signing the final line, "You're all set. Jennie will be ready to get picked up in a couple of days."

The whole process had happened pretty quickly, it started with us getting an email from the organisation that said that they needed help getting a little girl, two years old, a home almost immediately. Apparently, she had been left outside her home without food nor clothes. She was young and scared. They reached out to us about it, asked us if we wanted to proceed with that quick adoption and get a two-year-old or if we prefered to wait and get a newborn baby.

Justin had been quick to reply that we would gladly accept Jennie. It was unsure how she got that name, I was surprised that they knew her name at all, but I liked it. It was cute, sweet and a little sassy. It also gave her the initials JB which would carry on her father's legacy. My mind erupted into chaos at the thought of Justin being a dad. We were going to be parents within a week

I had expected us to get some time to prepare for a baby, the whole thing happening in less than a month. I had yet to figure out what to do about the Benjamin situation and I knew Justin was annoyed with me not having anything done, even though it's been a month since he came to me. I've tried to calm him down and I've done my best to explain that it's not by means that I'm still married to him, if anything, I wish I could've gotten rid of him for a long time ago.

But here we were, about to become parents quicker than we thought.

"I'm going to leave you two alone," Emily beamed as she whispered out the words, almost as if she didn't want anyone else to hear us though we were alone in the room. She then proceeded in walking out of the room, leaving me and Justin by ourselves to celebrate the moment. If we weren't in a public office at a baby-centred organisation right now, I would've already been naked among that desk. I think Justin noticed that mood too because his jaw clenched slightly when my fingertips traced along his cheek, my touch causing his breath to get heavier.

"Well, guess there's no return now," I joked, feeling the sexual tension in the room grow to a point where I almost couldn't hide it. I had to stop it before something happened, that was definitely not the way to prove to people how great parents we would become, "We're really doing it."

"It happened really fast," he mumbled, his gaze focused on my eyes whilst I could feel the back of his hand trace my neck slowly. I gulped, having to look away for a second in order to gather myself before I did something I'd regret. "I'm proud of us," He lifted my head with the help of two fingers, "We're not just adopting for us, we're actually helping someone in need."