39 HOURS

Chapter 9

My tears continued to stream down my face as I sat in the corner of the elevator, crawled up in my own arms. I was holding myself, rocking back and forth like a baby as my anxiety got worse. It had been a while since I last heard from Justin and there had been no signs of him surviving the fall. 

I was freaking out.

Neither could I check the time, both mine and his phone were laying on the elevator floor in front of me but there was no use, no battery was found in either of them. My prayers hadn't been to use because it felt like a decade had gone by and considering Justin hadn't shown up yet, I was not expecting him to.

I could physically feel my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach, laying there lifeless and with no luck in finding its way up again. It wasn't correctly operating in speed with my lungs and for each second that passed, my breathing got worse. So did my thoughts too.

My faith of him still being up there slowly died down and I was beginning to realise that I was alone. I had no idea on what to do or how to handle the situation, instead, I just sat here with my arms crossed and the wet salty water running down my face as if that was supposed to help the situation.

My eyes were probably puffy and my hands were still shaking. There was no mirror in here but I was certain that I looked like a mess. For some reason, there was a part of me that would rather die than be found in this elevator now that I was alone. I didn't want to make it out of here if Justin wasn't going to be by my side.

Which was ridiculous because I had only just met him. A few days ago I barely knew him. I knew his face and all the rumours circling around him but I didn't actually know him. Now that I did, I was stuck. Stuck in a way that made me think that I wouldn't wanna go on without him. How is it possible to be so attached to someone only within a couple of days? What did he do to me and how did he do it?

All I could picture was his eyes, brown and curious. They were always big and so filled with light and positiveness. I felt lucky each time I stared at them and knowing it may never happen again; made another tear leave my eye.

"Please," I cried out, the hope inside of me felt long gone and I was ready to have my life taken away now. It was torture. Staying inside an elevator for so many days that I had lost count, without food or water. Barely any sleep. I was mentally exhausted and I don't think my body had ever felt so weak.

I wasn't sure what exactly I was pleading for. My mind was settled on dying here and a part of me already knew that Justin wouldn't come back anytime soon. I was lonely. I think my biggest fear was to somewhat die alone and it was going to come true. I could already imagine the pain and suffering I would have to go through to come to the other side.

My hunger was gone but that didn't mean that not eating wasn't going to affect me. My body was weaker for each second that passed and if I tried to stand up, I had to sit down again. My legs would give in, not being able to carry the weight of me. I was skinnier than I thought I could be and it was surprising to me how much weight you could lose in such little time - or perhaps, I was imagining it. I didn't know how long I had been here but it felt like a week. A month. A year. If I began to count the minutes, I knew I would go crazy.

I was already becoming crazy in here and there was no part of me that needed more triggering. If I had a rope or a knife, I could have ended this much easier. Then again, maybe this was supposed to teach me something. A lesson that I still hadn't figured out.

All of Justin's talk had really started getting to me. All of the things he said about us being trapped here had a purpose and that God was trying to set us up. But then why would God take him away from me and leave me lonely? What could possibly be the purpose of that?