Part four: Safe

Act one, part four

"I come bearing gifts!" Remus said approaching Evie the next morning. The other marauders looked at him confused as they met up with Evie and Wendy outside the great hall.

Evie squealed in delight as Remus pulled her into a big hug and spun her around. He laughed happily and put her down, hanging her a chocolate bar from his pocket.

"I should do your homework more often then." Evie said laughing, along with James and Wendy. Sirius was watching smugly from next to them. He decided it was his duty to his cousin to get them together, and by the looks of it, it wouldn't be that hard.

Evie and Wendy sat with the Marauders at the Gryfandor table and they started to eat breakfast. When the post came, Evie found herself with a letter from her Father. Sirius looked at her questioningly.

Evie opened the letter, knowing it wasn't going to be good. In short, her father had threatened her. He said that he had caught word that Evie was still friends with Wendy (or in his words 'that filthy mudblood') and told her that if she continues to speak with her, or any muggle-born or blood-traitor, she would pay for it with her own blood. He said that this summer would look like heaven compared to what would be in store.

Evie just put the letter in her pocket. She never took her fathers threats that's seriously. At worst he would maim or hurt her, not kill her. Suddenly she heard Sirius curse loudly, making the group turn to him questioningly.

"I swallowed the damned leaf again." He said bitterly making them laugh.

"Its really not that difficult you know!" Evie stated, amused.

"Okay well, my father didn't make me do this sort of thing for punishment as often as yours." He stated. His eyes widened when he realized what he had said.

"That was insensitive." Evie stated blandly to him. He was still shocked by what he said.

"What does he mean, for punishment?" Remus asked worriedly, trying to sound casual.

"Most Pure-blood parents aren't as... morally sound as others." James explained to Remus.

"My parents make Sirius's look tame." Evie muttered before taking a bite of toast. Remus made a note to ask her about it later.

Remus looked up at Evie in the library that afternoon, remembering this mornings conversation.

"What is your home life like, Evie?" Remus asked softly. She looked up and him and met his eyes. She could tell that he was starting to suspect that it wasn't great, she could tell by his tone and the way he looked at her. His face was fully of concern and kindness.

"Not good." She answered, breaking the eye contact. She felt bad that she had never opened up about it before.

"Can you define 'not good'?" He  asked her, trying to catch her eyes.

"Not good as in, worse than Sirius." She said, casting a look his way. He eyebrows had furrowed and his face set.

"Sirius parents practically abuse him." Remus stated, trying to figure her out.

"Mine actually do it." She said, closing her book and facing him. "It use to be mostly verbal. Threats and nasty words and such, on top of the whacked out pure-blood punishments. Like blood-quills and keeping nasty leaves on your mouth for a long time. Then this summer it started to get really physical. Sirius doesn't even know."