Part six: Not James

Act one, part six

December 1976

Evie sat with the marauders and Wendy on the train home for Christmas break. Her and Wendy would split up earlier so her father wouldn't see them together, and she would walk with only Sirius to meet up with them. To say she was dreading it was an understatement.

As the train rolled into the station, everyone left the compartment. Evie found herself being held back by Remus, who had caught her hand in his.

"Please, be careful" He said to her, not meeting her eyes.

"Ill try. As long as you try not to worry." Evie said, pulling Remus into a hug. One thing Evie loved about Remus is he always smelled like autumn, if that makes sense. Like freshly fallen leaves and crisp air.

Ever since the day Remus told her about his problem, and had an emotional breakdown, they had grown closer. He was very vague about why he flipped out but Evie knew he would tell her when he was ready. Since then, they had shared more hugs and talked about different things. It was as if unlocking the piece of him, opened up new doors, and Evie loved it.

Their hug was short because, all too soon they had to go. Sirius was waiting near the train exit for her, since her father would go ballistic if he saw her with anyone but him. She said her goodbyes to Wendy, James, and Peter and then was on her way to the place she somehow called home.

Christmas break was just like Summer break at Malfoy manor, just with snow and presents. The only highlight was that the Malfoy would throw there annual Christmas ball. Sirius and Evie always had a blast at these things.

There was some trouble the day before the ball, where Evie's mother and her were picking out what dress Evie would wear. She wanted to wear one that was blue with the bottom of the dress covered in pretty stars, and her mother wanted her to wear some boring, gem covered, skin tone colored dress. It was beautiful, and Evie told her that, but She wanted to wear the blue one.

Her Father caught wind of this and got angry with her. So angry that he hit Evie really hard on the cheek and collar bone, leaving large, purple bruises. She told him she would have to wear the blue dress to cover it, when he said he wouldn't heal it so he hit her again and decided to punish her further before the ball.

Christmas morning came and Evie was pleased to find that Lucius had arrived sometime during the night. It had been so long since she had seen him, that she spent a long time before the ball talking about what he was up too.

Then father came and asked Lucius to leave, when he did he revealed that her punishment would be to keep a flower petal in my mouth for the rest of the night. If she were to take it out the consequences would be worse than a foul tasting leaf. The leaf tasted worse than the mandrake leaf that Sirius still was trying to keep for a month.

Walbruga and Orion were the first guests to arrive. Evie heard them arrive while she was doing her makeup for the night and trying not to vomit due to this petal tucked in my mouth. She heard footsteps coming this way so she assumed Sirius and Regulus were coming up. She was focused on putting makeup on her bruised cheek, so I didn't look away when the door opened up and people came in.

"In the bathroom." Evie said from her bathroom. She opened the door to the bathroom and turned back to her makeup.

"Who has arrived so far?" Sirius asked from the main room.