Chapter XII: Getting Settled In An Unsettling Place

Warning: Homosexual and Racial Slurs (f-word and n-word)

Settling themselves in the house was easier than John thought. They were given separate rooms, and were told to unpack everything and if possible go down, if not, dinner would be taken to their rooms. John wasn't quite ready to face his family and engage them in conversation; yes, he said hi to them and all, but he had zero contact with them for four years. What would they even talk about? Nothing interesting happened in John's life except the soulmate issue, and if he even as much mentioned that, his father would already be planning the wedding with Manning.

He stayed in his room, which was just like he left it when he left for college, and sat down on the desk. He started drawing, a simple flower, he wasn't feeling that inspired and flowers made him happy. The turtle plushie rested in his lap, and he hugged it from time to time. He loved that plushie more than he loved himself at the moment. He sighed and stood up and walked over to Alexander's temporary room, knocking on the door. "Alexander, it's me, should I bring dinner up to you here?"

"Yeah." Alexander called from inside, but didn't walk out. John shrugged and walked down to the kitchens. I'm the house, the chef would make food, serve it, and leave, but the scraps were always left laying around, and a few plates also. So he entered the empty kitchen to pick up two plates.

He was going to walk out, when he saw his father blocking the entrance. John gulped, but stood straight, trying not to show any sign of cowardice.

"Father." he greeted, Henry glared, and John tensed up. "Is there anything I can do for you?" he placed both plates on the counter, he looked up again at his father.

"First of all, John, don't call me father, you lost that right when you decided that you wanted to be a faggot." he spat the last word, full of hate, John flinched, but stayed looking at him. "I want you to take your stuff and leave, I will not let you embarrass the family name tomorrow at the bell, understood?"

"But I got an—"

"Do I look like I care!?" he snapped, stepping closer to him in a threatening manner, John wanted to step back, but the counter was on the back, he just glued himself closer to it. "I don't want you and that other fag to get the fuck out of my house! The rest of my children will not be infected with those homosexual germs!"

"You invited me! The e-mail–"

"Do you really think I would want you here? Heck, I would bet my life that that man upstairs doesn't even love you." he smirked evilly, John looked to the side.

"He's my soulmate, he loves me." he mumbled, closing his eyes. "Why wouldn't he? We're destined to be together." he took his arms and hugged himself, he whimpered when he heard Henry laughing cynically.

"Look at you, kid! Who would want you, for anything!? Even as a friend, face it John, you're useless, unlovable, I can't look at you without wanting to vomit all over the carpet; not even having a soulmate will change the fact that even if you weren't a fag, you are disgusting."

"Please, just stop." said John, voice cracking. His throat felt tight, and he just wanted to cry and scream. "Why would you stop loving because I'm gay!?"

"Because I wanted a son that I could be proud of! Not you! Look at you, John! Do you really wake up, look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see?" he smirked evilly, he was John's father, he knew his weaknesses.

"Just stop, Henry!! Stop being so bigoted!!" snapped John, finally looking at him straight in the eyes.

"Stop being such a failed product of human being. Being gay, helping niggers... what have you turned into!? If it weren't for the laws of this country I would've picked up my rifle already and shot you right here." he tapped John's forehead.

"You are disgusting, Henry Laurens!" he snarled. "I hope you rot in hell, you—"

"Watch your tone!" he slapped John as hard as possible, the hit echoed all around the room, making the young man fall to the floor, his hand on his cheek. "Know where you belong before you speak up." he snarled, and spit on John, the dirty saliva landing right on his freckled face. Henry smirked proudly. "Oh and, enjoy the ball tomorrow." he stepped out of the kitchens.

John stayed on the floor for what it seemed like an eternity, grossly sobbing. 'And people wonder why I don't visit home much.'

I hate Henry Laurens
~ Sarah