Chapter Six - Joining a Circus in Secret

I'm at home, sitting on my bed again, listening to the music that emits from my iPod, when Sebastian's voice enters my thoughts.

Meet me at the fountain I brought you to yesterday at nine.

I glance over at the alarm clock next to me. 8:58.

Sighing, I set my iPod down on my bed, change into jeans and a tee-shirt with American Converse sneakers, and start to climb out the window. I stop, and quickly write a note to Haruhi and set it on my bed. Running top speed, I make it to the fountain just in time.

"I knew you could make it," Sebastian smiles down in front of me.

"If I'm not home before midnight, Dad's gonna be pissed," I grumble. "What do you want?"

"Let's go," Is all the butler says before picking me up and running though the forest we were in yesterday. A wave of realization washes over me.

You have got to be kidding me.

The circus looks the same as before when we stop. Electric lights are strung from tree limbs and tent posts. Second string members show off for the commuters before we make it to the main tent.

Sebastian hands me a ticket. "You are supposed to be my daughter. Act like it."

I only nod as we find our seats in the back. My hands start to tremble as the lights dim, before it is almost completely dark.

With a crack, a spotlight appears in the middle of the circle. "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls!" That terrifyingly familiar voice rings out. The man in the middle has his arms out in a welcoming stance. "Welcome to Noah's Ark Circus!" The Irishman pulls different colored rubber balls from his jacket. He still has the prosthesis on his right arm. The ginger starts his juggling act. "My name is Joker. It is a pleasure to meet 'ee." The balls he was juggling all fall on his head as he bows.

"Tonight, you will see wonderful performances to stun and amaze 'ee!" Joker continues. His eyes wander the crowd, but they seem to miss us. Shadows run out next to the Irish, all the same. Wait... Where's Snake?

"Now, without further adieu, let our fire breather, Jumbo, begin the show of the century!"

Jumbo runs up behind Joker, and uses his torch to "breath" said fire. Still, the same. So much for original. I nervously tighten the strings of my eyepatch before the show starts.

As people cheer and laugh, I break out in a cold sweat, inching closer to the demon next to me, the only remnant of a home I used to love.

The show starts with Peter and Wendy, with their trapeze act. A grin tugs at my mouth, remembering the act that Sebastian and William did.

After is Dagger, and a knife trowing act. I wonder if he ever... No. Probably not.

Doll in next, with a partner, Dame, another girl in the same outfit, but black.

Finally, Beast does her act. A new tiger to count. No volunteer from the audience.

As the circus is brought to a close, Joker's eyes once again sweep the audience. And this time, make contact. With mine.

People file out as Sebastian takes my hand.

"S-Sebastian, Joker knows we're here," I say worriedly.

"I know," Sebastian replies, bringing me behind the tent. I pull against him, knowing where he is going, but his grip stays firm.

"I don't want to go back there," I whisper bluntly.