Chapter Twelve - Physical Exams are Stupid

That night, Haruhi and I were sitting on our beds. Haruhi was reading, and I was painting my nails. I need something to do if I'm nervous. Usually it was help out Finny in the garden, back in England.

"Are you sure you're okay, Char-chan?" Haruhi sighs, setting her book. "If you say your fine, I will throttle you."

I sigh. "Well, the Undertaker is just plain annoying."

"I'm not talking about that. You've been even more distant since we found out about the exams in a couple days," Haruhi pressures.

"Alright, you know what? Fine. I'll tell you. I haven't seen a doctor for at least a hundred years. The only doctor I ever trusted was murdered right in front of my eyes, and the only people I ever trusted to ever take care of me are a) dead, or b) an f'n demon! Okay?" I almost shout. My breathing becomes rapid. "Look, I'm sorry, but I can't do this!"

Haruhi swallows. I groan, realizing I just yelled at her. "Oh, my! I am so, so sorry, Haru-chan! It's just... When I'm nervous or upset I get... Rude."

"It's okay, Charlotte-chan," Haruhi comes over to my bed and hugs me. "I understand. I would be nervous too."

"Sure..." I mumble. Right now, I really want to be back at the mansion with Aunty Ann and Mother. They always made me feel better. Always. "Hey, Haru?"

"Yeah, Char?"

"Could you... Help me with something? Just between us?"

"Yeah, what do you need?"

"Well..." I take out my notebook, and flip it the poem. "I need to figure out what this means. And how it pertains to me."

Haruhi reads the poem. "Weird..."

"I know, right? I know I'm the demon in the story, but none of this has happened yet. I don't understand it," I sigh.

There is a sudden knock at our bedroom door. "Girls, why are you both still up? You both have school tomorrow."

I open the door a crack and slide my head through. "It's just me, Ryuji. Demon's don't sleep, remember?"

Ryuji sighs, and opens the door all the way to find Haruhi staring back at him. "Haruhi, you should have been asleep twenty minutes ago! Why are you still up?"

"Complications, Ryuji, okay? It's nothing," I assure, trying to close the door in him.

"Why was this on the table when I walked in the door?" Ryuji holds up the paper Ciel gave me earlier in the day.

"Oh, shit," I mutter, before attempting to grab it out of his hand, but he raises it above my head. Screw me and my small stature! "Ryuji, please! I need that!"

Ryuji's eyes gaze over it. "A beauty pageant, eh? Why did you tell me?"

"It's supposed it be secret! Can I have the paper back now?" I keep jumping.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone! Haruhi, get to bed!" Ryuji closes the door, taking the paper with him, and Haruhi looks up at me. What did I get myself I to?

=-=📚=-=

"

"Sorry we're late," Haruhi says as she opens the door.