§» eight

"James!" Avery exclaimed.

It was a cloudy (and sad in general) Saturday, yet Avery Ashryver and James Sirius Potter were having fun.

  James looked at Avery, smiling; he loved to get lost in her eyes.

We have to tell her, he had told Cassidy. He had also promised that he'd do it until Saturday.

And it was Saturday.

He didn't want to end that moment. He didn't want to end their relationship. But he didn't want to break promises either. James didn't want to lie.

James Sirius Potter didn't want to admit that he was doomed.

Not telling Avery or breaking a promise he made; it would all end in the same thing.

Chaos.

If he didn't do any he'd be a coward.

And James wasn't a coward.

What should I do?, he asked himself.

"Avery, I... need to tell you something," He said quietly, almost whispering.

"Say it." She replied.

"Have you heard about..." He looked around, nervously. "The bet?"

"Uh... No?" Avery kept looking at him with the same expression.

"The bet that involves Casey!" He said.

"No, I haven't." She told him.

He sighed. "Someone stupid brat made this bet that whoever do something to her will get... something."

"And?" Avery looked at her nails.

James hesitated. "And they might rape her, kiss her, anything. And the only way she stays safe is being with someone else... popular."

"Which means you," She told him.

"Aren't you mad at me about it?" He asked her.

"Why would I be? You want to help our friend, no matter what is needed to do. And I couldn't care less."

"I'm sorry. It's because... I love you. But I don't want anything to happen to her. Maybe we could still... be together. I just need to pretend to be with her in public. It will be tough. But I'm willing to take the risk."

She waited a while to answer. "So am I. But I'm no fool."

"I know that. I wouldn't be dating a fool."

"So why do you and Casey lied to me?" She asked him.

Holy crap.

"We, uhm, didn't know how to tell you. I didn't know how to tell you. So I tried to shelve the obligation to do so. I must admit that I was hoping that I didn't have to do this in the end, but I promised Casey."

"Wow, that's amazing, hiding from your girlfriend that you'll be soon snogging her best friend. Let's see..." Avery looked at the watch placed on her right wrist. "Exactly one week, three hours and twenty four minutes after we started dating and you already started great! Just great."

James tried to keep calm, what actually happened for a moment.

"It was Roxanne who dragged me into all of this. And I don't like her. I mean, she's nice, but as a friend. She's nothing compared to you. I don't want to stay with heavy conscience, you know, that if anything happens I could have stopped it..."