§» nine

I was reading my old fanfiction (Mischief Managed) and all I wanted was to sit down in my room's corner and to cry; and I eventually did that. I'm terribly sorry if you ever read that, gosh you don't know how sorry I am. I hope you're liking this story so far... couldn't update before because of school.

"You talk to him and I'll join you later, okay?"

"I still don't understand why you want to do that... Do you have a crush on him or something?"

  "What? No!" Marlee said. "I don't know, I just... get embarrassed when I'm next to him. Speechless."

  "Oh. Well, I'm sure you'll make your way through all of this... embarrassment," Casey looked around. "After all, Tedros is just a boy, isn't he?"

  "Yes. Sure," Marlee looked down.

  "Do you want me to go talk to him?" She pointed to a random direction.

  "Casey!"

  The girls looked around, only to see no one less than Tedros Fitzroy, the boy they were talking about.

  "Hi Ted. How are you?"

  "I'm good. I... need to talk to you. In private. Would your friend mind?" Tedros looked at Marlee, who was blushing.

  "No! Not at all. Go ahead," She looked at Casey, then walked away.

  He put his arm around Cassidy's shoulder, and started walking with her.

  "I told you we needed to talk," He said.

  "And I told you I knew what you meant when you said you didn't really think about the consequences of your acts last year." She told him. "What do you want?"

"You? I said we. That means you too. Have you heard about the bet?"

"Which one of them?" Casey let the book on her hand fall. She quickly bent down to get it.

"You know the one I'm talking about. What do you got there?"

"This?" She pointed to her book. "Pendragon family. I find King Arthur's story very interesting."

"The Arthurian legend is, indeed, interesting," he frowned. "So?"

  "I guess I know this bet. I mean, is it the bet? The bet that only a few people know about, but only talk about it?"

  "Yes. This bet. Are you okay with it? I mean, if it was me I'd-"

"Do you really think I'm okay with it? Just look at me!"

"Well, you look like you're not doing anything at all to stop it," He shrugged.

"I am doing something, trust me," Casey looked down.

  "Oh really? What are you doing, then? You can't lie forever, Casey. You can't lie to yourself forever. You can lie to me as much as you want, although I wouldn't recommend that, but lying to your own self is another thing."

  She looked right into his eyes. "Are you sure you want me to do something for my own safety? I know you. This has something to do with you. What is it, then?"

  He widened his eyes, looking at her as if she was insane. "You sure I'm doing this for me? Casey, I just wanted to tell you that I'll be here for you no matter what happens. I believe it's hard, that's why I'll be helping James on finding who started this."

"You know what? It's no big deal. It's just a bet. What can happen because of a bet?"

Tedros sighed. "Many things."