2

Mr. Davenport drove home that day is misery. He hated to be the one to break it to his son that he lost him to a simple game of poker. He never meant to go that far, he hoped Mr. Cooper would back out at his confidence. Instead, he lost the most important person in his life. He would never forgive himself.

As the front door opened, Luke looked up from the TV to see his dad walk inside. "Hi, dad," he greeted. "How was you game of poker?"

"Awful. I did something horrendous."

"What happened, dad?"

Mr. Davenport walked over to the couch, and Luke sat down beside him. "I lost you."

"WHat?" the boy asked in confusion.

"I bet on you, and I lost you," he explained.

"U did what?" Luke shouted as he jumped up rom the couch. "You bet on me? WHy would you do that?"

"I wa shoping Mr. Cooper would back out. I lost so much, and he was willing to give it all back if I bet on something. I thought I was going to win, but he bested me. I'm so sorry."

"You didn; think to bet on the house? We were planning to move back in with Grnadma soon anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. Instead you bet on me. How can I even look at you right now?" Luke cried, tears running down his cheeks.

"Buddy, I'm sorry"

"No." he stated. "We are not buddies anymoe. You disgust me."

"Baby, you shouldn't be that cruel to your father," a man spoke from the doorway.

Luke looked up at the door, and his breath was caught in his throat. There stood the most beautiful man in the world. His brown hair was quaffed up in front of his face to reveal his beautifully green eyes. With skin as white as snow, he looked like a God.

"Who is this?" Luke asked his dad.

"This is Mr. Cooper. he's here to take you away," Mr. Davenport signed.

Luke glared at his dad and huffed. "At elast I don't have to look at you for long," he muttered before walking up to Mr. Cooper. "hello, sir," he greeted.

"In the meantime, you can call me Steve. That will change soon enough, but its good for now," Stevie said. Luke raised an eyebrow as he followed Stevie up the stairs to the bedrooms. "Which one is yours?"

"The blue door," he replied.

Steve entered the room and looked around subtly. He noticed there wasn't much in the room, but it would all be better when he lived him. Luke would have all the toys in the world, all the clothes in the world, and everything else he could have ever imagined.

"Is there anything you would like to take woth you?" he asked. "Antyhing sentimental or that you happen to like?"

Luke walked into the bak of his closet and pulled an old, raggedy stuffed bunny. He looked at it as another tear slipped down his cheek. "It's all I have left of my mother," he explained to Steve.

"WHere is she now?"

"SHe escaped dad. I wish I was lucy like her."

"Don't worry," Steve said and gave Luke a kiss on the top of his head. "You will like it with me. I promise."

As Luke and Steve walked back downstairs, Mr. Davenport looked at his son with much regret. "Goodbye...dad," Luke said before leaving the house.

Mr. Cooper stayed behind and shook Mr. Davenports hand. "Pleasure doing business with you."

-

Please vote