3- a broken smile

I dreaded getting up today was the first day of school and I just knew everyone was just going to make fun of my accent. So I dressed into something that would hopefully let me blend me in a pair of black skinny jeans, my R2-D2 t shirt with the words little genius printed in blue bubble writing, a black hoodie and checkered vans I was debating whether or not I should take my guitar “OI MICHAEL!” I yelled “WHAT!” “SHOULD I TAKE MY GUITAR WITH ME?” I asked “ERR NO!” I frowned but left it where it was I picked up my Doctor Who school bag and went downstairs. I picked up a slice of toast slavered with marmite and ran out the door picking up my skateboard.

I arrived to school on time and made my way to the office to collect my time table and locker key. I was waiting for the slut of the receptionist to register my existence when I felt someone pat me on the shoulder, I turned round and there was Ross “hey I thought you were to famous to go to public school?” I asked “oh didn’t you know Matti that every school in L.A has a department for the students gifted in music, drama and art” what? “Dude how do you register for that department?” I asked desperate to stay away from the people bound to make fun of my accent “don’t worry I can register you for it the principle loves me” I was totally confused “principle?” I asked he just chuckled at me “oh yeah I forgot your British. Principle is headmaster. Oh and I can get you permission to go grab your guitar” I nodded grateful, I turned round and finally the receptionist was ready “hi excuse me miss” she snickered at my accent I turned to Ross “is this going to happen every time I speak?” he nodded “pretty much” I turned back round and continued talking “I’m new here, is it possible if I could get enrolled for the gifted department?” I asked trying to be polite “you’ll have to see the principle for that sweetie” she said mocking my accent “thanks and for the record I’m British not a pirate. Now where is the ‘principle’s’ office” I asked the word feeling foreign in my mouth, she gave me directions and me and Ross followed them.

We sat on the stupid plastic chairs waiting to be called in “Matilda” we looked up and got off those stupid plastic chairs to go see him “morning Matilda, now what brings you here to my office?” he asked “well sir I was kind of hoping I could enrol for the gifted department” I asked and yet again he smirked at my accent “seriously! I know I’m British and all so I have a ‘funny’ accent but have you ever thought I might find your accent funny?” I exclaimed he was dead silent “ha! That’s what I thought” he cleared his throat “well you’ll have to audition in front of the whole gifted student body. Now what do you do?” he asked “I’m a singer/songwriter, moved out here to catch my big break” I said “well we might just have some talent scouts interested in you. You can audition at assembly till then you and Mr Lynch can hang out in the music rooms and practise” I smiled “thank you sir” and with that me and Ross made our way home so I could pick up my guitar.

I was at school with Ross trying to think of a song to do “you could do Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon” he suggested I nodded “and maybe you can do the oh oh’s and I’m ready now’s and we could harmonise together on them” he nodded impressed with my idea. We started practising.

It was time for the audition, to take my mind off of things I started mindlessly strumming and mumbling words jumping from foot to foot Ross noticed this and came up to me “calm your awesome you’ll be fine and it’s not like your performing on your own” I nodded taking calming breaths. The ‘principle’ god that still doesn’t sound right said our names and we were beckoned on stage. Here goes nothing I sat down and started strumming the opening Ross opened his mouth to start singing and somewhere through his oh’s I joined in layering the voices