4

Another day of being fake.

Gemma let out a huge sigh before grabbing her phone on her bedside table. She just finished her morning rituals that consisted of freshening up, choosing her clothes, fixing herself, and practicing a smile in front of the mirror.

For someone who had to be the sweet and ideal lady of their town, she always had to wear that fake smile everywhere.

Frank and Karen Spencer were the most loved couple in Los Altos. A hardworking mayor and a helpful charity worker, it was a perfect pair, according to their people.

Before going down the stairs, Gemma's phone vibrated in her hand.

Aaron: Good morning. Are you up already? I'll be there in 2 mins

Gemma: I thought you're gonna say: rule number something your guy must use emojis 🙄

"Good morning, sweetie." Karen greeted her as sweet as the strawberry jam she was putting on her toast.

Karen had already prepared their breakfast that consisted of fruits, eggs, bacon, and toasts. Each one was neatly arranged on the dining table. Frank, on the other hand, was already feasting on the latest scoops on the newspaper that was covering his face.

This had always been their routine every morning. Gemma would see them in the dining area, with her mom fixing their breakfast, while her dad would rather greet his newspaper than his only daughter.

"Morning." She answered, sounding like she only greeted herself.

Since everything was already set, she sat on her usual spot with her mom following her act, then started eating her breakfast. She knew any minute she'd be bombarded with questions about school that she thought of something that wouldn't divert their topic to it.

"Aaron will be here, by the way." Gemma announced after swallowing the rough piece of toast down her throat.

"Aaron. . . Sterling?" Her mom seemed pleased when she looked at her.

"Yes. I only have one Aaron in my life, mom--I mean, as a friend."

Her mouth was still curved into a smile. "Since when did he arrive? I didn't know he's back."

Gemma couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Just yesterday. As if you got time for my life and as if I told you he was back."

Frank's existence was suddenly noticed when he roughly flipped the page of his newspaper, making the two jump.

"That's not a nice thing to say, Gemma," Karen warned. "You know your dad and I are both busy serving these people. Don't make it sound like we are not doing anything all day."

"Busy or not, you two don't even care."

"Is this how you behave in school?" Frank asked from behind the newspaper. His voice was still calm. He had always been so capable of controlling his emotions--specifically his anger; and that made it hard for Gemma to know if she already crossed the line.

"Of course not," she smirked. "As if I'm allowed to behave as myself."

"Yes. You are not allowed to behave like that. Rude."

"What's so rude about saying what's on my mind?" Gemma controlled the tone of her voice. But she was so close to raising it, "Don't tell me I'm still forced to be fake in this house?"

Her dad chose to keep his mouth shut. He didn't want to have any debate while they were having their meal. On the other hand, Karen didn't care. For her, this was always the perfect time to talk as a family. If she had to discipline her while they were having their dessert, she'd do it.