14

"So, yes? Or a big, fat, yes?"

"No." Gemma crumpled her forehead.

"What do you mean no?" Elisa gave her a befuddled look.

Sunday arrived and the two were in their usual spot again, doing what they'd always been doing. They had their eyes on these churchgoers—at first—not until Gemma shared what Aaron told her yesterday.

He just asked her to be his girlfriend.

It wasn't a question like she had a choice to say no. The way he asked her, it was more like a demand.

"I mean no—I don't know." Gemma shrugged.

"What you mean you don't know? You didn't say yes?"

"I still haven't given him an answer!"

"What's taking you so long?" Elisa nearly whined.

"I have to think things through. . ."

Elisa snorted. "That's bullshit. Look. . . I've a feeling you like Aaron."

"Well sorry, missy, but your radar sucks."

"Why do you keep on denying it? Come on, tell me what's not to like about him? He's sweet, understanding—and this makes you lucky 'cause not everyone can understand you. He's also a good and a cute guy—though not as cute as these celebrities—at least he's someone who can make you go 'ooh. . . yes. . . Aaron. . .'"

Gemma couldn't agree more. All she did was to nod slowly, while her brain fed her with images to support her friend's statement.

Aaron's sweetness could be felt up to her stomach. She remembered those times he'd send her packs of chocolate. He could also show this good trait by making her feel how she special she was to him.

Just one of the reasons why she thought he was cute.

The length of his understanding could expand up to the size of a football field. Gemma's stubbornness plus her remarks were mostly misunderstood; and because her best friend was lenient, he could condone her mood swings and constant retorts.

Elisa looked up at the cloudy sky. "When you gonna tell Aaron?"

"I. . . don't know." Gemma had her head lowered, scanning the dried leaves on the pebbled pathway. "Still haven't talked to him after that."

"You're scared, aren't you?" She snorted then nudged her at the same time. "You obvs like him. You go scaredy-cat when you don't know what to do."

After Aaron asked her the nerve-racking question, she kindly asked him to wait for she had to think about it. However, he seemed to be in a hurry and it was rattling her even more.

"I-I'm serious, Gemma. . . I'll wait. But. . . if I have to ask about it each day, I will."

Aaron's determination was giving her this weird and uncomfortable feeling. She wasn't sure if she should be happy or should be sad.

How could he faze her rattled heart? As far as she could remember, she just had her heart broken when he suddenly popped back into her life. She couldn't believe he came back just because he had enough of her two failed relationships—and even made a checklist for her future boyfriend.