18

Aaron and Gemma were chilling inside her bedroom like they had no awkward conversation last night. She asked him if they could pretend it didn't happen. Aaron respected her request for he didn't want her to feel anxious. He did his ritual, he drove her to school, picked her up, then stayed at her place. This time, he promised her he'd wait for her parents to say 'hi'.

While waiting, they stayed in her bedroom. Aaron helped her with her homework, with Gemma's favorite songs playing in the background. Both sat comfortably on the bed.

The warm light of the late afternoon seeped through the curtain, irradiating Aaron's face in a good way. His hazel eyes turned a different shade because of the light, causing Gemma to stare at him for long. It was mesmerizing and she thought it was the best thing she saw for today.

"Is something wrong?" Aaron leaned closer to her.

The concern on his face, nearly made her laugh. She couldn't believe he'd think something was wrong when all she did was to stare at him.

"I like your eyes." She admitted in a soft tone.

Gemma's gaze gave him this cozy feeling—as warm as the weather outside. He smiled like a young boy being complimented for doing something. The music taking over the comforting silence added up to the tension engulfing them because of the way they held each other's eyes.

Until her phone rang.

She held it tightly and stared at the caller's name. There was no sign she had plans answering it. It kept on ringing and ringing until it stopped. She released a soft sigh of relief that Aaron quickly noticed.

"Who was it?" He asked, carefully assessing her face.

"Just—" she dropped her phone on the bed. "—someone."

"You're lying."

In a snap, she glared at him. "Why would I lie? I told you it was just someone. A friend."

Despite her reaction, he didn't flinch. He tilted his head to the side. "Then would you mind dropping a name?"

After that, her phone rang again. Gemma jumped, almost crushing the gadget when she grabbed it hastily.

"Answer it." Aaron urged, his eyes didn't leave her face.

To answer it or not; those two choices fought for their right inside her brain. Gemma nibbled on her lower lip, still thinking.

"I know it's Harvey."

Her eyes widened when she looked up at him. "How—"

"Just answer it." Aaron said.

"Why are you letting me talk to him?"

"I can see the hesitation in your eyes when you saw his name."

Was she too obvious or did he see right through her? Indeed, she was hesitating if she should answer it or not. Knowing that her boyfriend was just beside her, she didn't want him to think she was cheating on him. Or maybe she was just overthinking things.

To snap her away from her daze, Aaron nodded his head, indicating her to answer it. So she did.

"Harvey," Gemma said in a soft voice. "Yeah. . . I am. Inside my bedroom, why?"

The mention of her location made Aaron crumple his forehead. It was only short for he didn't want her to notice it.

"Wait, what? Why should I?" Her eyebrows knitted as she stood. "No, Harvey. You're nuts."

Before Gemma could hear more from him, she ended the call. Aaron looked up at her, patiently waiting for her to talk. He didn't want to sound too eager to know, but he was close.