22

Dark masks, balloons, and different kinds of designs were up along the hallway walls. Tickets for the prom were finally released. Students gathered around to buy them even if it was just the start of the week. Everyone seemed thrilled for their upcoming prom. The theme got the students hyped and excited they couldn't wait for next week to wear their dresses and masks.

A big thanks to Aaron Sterling for sharing his idea with his girlfriend. Since the proposed theme was rejected, the student council committee had to think of a better theme this year. And because they were cramming and stressed out because of the deadline, no one was able to suggest a better idea.

"I like the masquerade theme." Elisa said with a grin.

"Aaron suggested it," Gemma said as she stapled a poster on the bulletin board. "He liked the idea of slightly covering one's face and admiring them because of their eyes."

Students glanced at the poster, some took a picture of it while others commended how it looked catchy and amazing. The announcement about the prom was up. Gemma wasn't looking forward to it. But because she was the president, she should show that she was as thrilled as these students. She was about to head back to the council room to return the posters when Marya bumped into her.

"I'm sorry," Marya apologized. Her eyes scanned the posters. "Nice theme, Miss President. Quite new and original."

Marya's grin was tempting. Gemma was on the edge of scraping her smooth skin. But Elisa crashing into Gemma snapped her from doing something evil. Instead, she cursed under her breath, annoyed at how small their hallway had turned out to be. Students were everywhere and it had gone crowded because of the announcement.

"Sorry." Elisa mumbled then glanced at Marya.

Elisa entering the scene made Marya leave the two. Elisa still had her eyes on her even when Gemma took the posters from her hand.

"What's with the stare?" Gemma inquired, raising an eyebrow at her friend.

"Nothing," she answered. "Give me that. I'll ask the girls to help me."

Gemma's eyebrows furrowed. "You don't have to."

"What? You're telling me you'll go there personally to drop these posters. . . ? You know there's a chance you'll see Harvey—"

"I know," Gemma huffed. "I'm doing this because you're done being the captain of the cheerleading squad. Let's not go back to the old days. I'm sure you're already done with that."

Elisa smirked. "They're still my friends, okay? And just because I quit, doesn't mean I can't ask any favor."

Gemma dismissed the conversation by waving a hand near Elisa's face. Elisa rolled her eyes, letting her friend walk to the council room.

Before heading to their first class, Gemma got a glimpse of that familiar grin. And it was as if her stare could poke someone's attention, their eyes met for a few seconds before she looked away.

Harvey was back and was looking great as ever. He wore that smile as if it wasn't turned upside down for days. The dark circles under his eyes were hardly noticeable now. His laughter went along with his friends who confessed how much they missed him.

Whilst inside the classroom, Harvey glanced at Gemma, waiting for her to acknowledge his presence. However, she chose to ignore him. Even when they were dismissed and even up to the other classes they shared.

Gemma couldn't wait for lunchtime. It wasn't because of the idea of eating, but because of the lunchbox she had with her. She walked into the cafeteria with Elisa walking beside her. They took a spot away from the group of students and sat in silence for a second.