21

"How was your date last night?" Frank asked from behind the newspaper.

Gemma's blush crept up her cheeks. Luckily, Frank was busy reading the news and was not able to see her reaction. She lost her appetite despite the mouthwatering breakfast available before her. She blamed the butterflies inside her stomach.

"Your daughter was all red when she got home," Karen spoke with a teasing grin. "No wonder she's in a good mood this morning."

As soon as Gemma woke up this Sunday morning, she received a 'good morning' text from Aaron. There was another message informing her about his rule number fifty-seven: 'he knows what time you wake up, then sends you a message.'

"I wasn't, mom," Gemma grumbled, feeling uncomfortable about their conversation. "I wasn't blushing last night."

"Well?" Karen raised an eyebrow. "Did he take you somewhere nice?"

The place was indeed nice, according to Gemma. It was one of those ideas that didn't require much effort, yet would still be able to leave their date breathless. The weather was perfect, so were the stars and the breathtaking view before them. The wind was also pleasant, crisp.

Her eyes glowed, the end of her lips curled, and her cheeks turned a shade of red as she told her parents. Frank and Karen would steal glances with one another as they listened. There was never a time Gemma talked about someone like this.

"Oh, by the way," Karen announced when her daughter finished her storytelling. "Tonight, wear something nice."

"Do we have a visitor or. . . ?"

"Dinner at the Sterling's," she answered with her head held up high. "Aaron didn't inform you?"

If ever he did, she hardly doubt she'd be able to remember it. Their date almost made her forget about her problems. Not only did she enjoy the simple date he planned, but also his company that no one else could ever replace.

After that movie date, they went to a diner to have supper. It didn't last long for she had to be home soon to face her unsolved problems and responsibilities. By the time they made it to her house, he walked her to her doorstep, both were holding each other's hands.

The blush on their cheeks matched. But no one noticed, which was good, for it was dark that time. Only the glistening of their eyes could be seen. They said their good nights and called it a night after a minute.

Just when she thought she could have a break from having her heart beat like it was being chased by wild animals, was the day she'd be facing him; including his parents.

* * *

The Spencers stood side by side in front of the huge door. Gemma's palms were like the Niagara Falls. Constantly wiping them on her dress was useless for she was only ruining the fabric. Any time soon, her lips would be gone for she'd been biting them for hours.

Gemma was undeniably jittery.

Right when they left their house, she couldn't keep her legs from shaking and her fingers from fidgeting. The music coming from the stereo couldn't reach her ears for all she could listen to was her raging heartbeat.

It had been four years since she visited the Sterling's. And also four years since they had this kind of bonding. The fact that it had been a long time wasn't the reason why Gemma was feeling uncomfortable. Since she finally considered Aaron as her boyfriend, she had a feeling that things would turn out to be different this time; and she wasn't ready for these changes.

When the huge doors opened, Gemma expected to hear joyous shrieks coming from her and Aaron's mother. What welcomed her instead was the flowery scent that mixed well with the smell of body soap. It was expected for they ran a perfume business in Los Angeles.