thirteen

[ E D I T E D ]

I walked into my job, totally not expecting what was coming my way. I walked into my boss's office like I do everyday to check in, but this time when I walked in, my boss stood up and handed me a thick envelope.

"Morning. Now Josh, you've been my best worker around here, so I'm giving you a promotion. Now I know these things don't usually work like this, but in the envelope is your first promotion check, and some extra for just being awesome."

I looked at my boss, not believing it. I looked in the envelope, and the one paper check and multiple other papers were inside as well.

"Th-there's got to be a catch. There's a catch, isn't there?" I ask.

My boss smirks. "Smart guy. The catch is, well, I've given you a week and a half off. You've been stressed lately, Tyler and I have actually talked about it when he comes in to have lunch with you sometimes. I want you to use the money to take Tyler and yourself on a vacation. That's what all those papers are, I printed some information for you about different places and such. This vacation will help you relax- and then come back and work just as hard, if not harder than before, without that much stress. Just go have fun with Tyler, okay?"

I shook my head in disbelief. "Well, thank you very much. You have no idea how great of a boss you are, I swear."

My boss just shrugged his shoulders. "Good employees deserve good pay checks. And you, Mr. Dun, are by far my best employee."

That night, Tyler and I lay in bed, looking through the papers my boss printed out for us.

"Oh! What about Disney Land? Or maybe Disney World, and while we're in Florida, we could to Universal too?" I point out, knowing Tyler loves Disney.

But Tyler shook his head. "No, I kinda wanna relax more, ya know? Not walk around all day for hours on end. My poor feet couldn't handle something like that at the moment."

So we look through the papers again, looking for more relaxing things. "Oh! Oh! What about a cruise?!" Tyler screeches out.

I nod my head. "Yeah! That sounds awesome. We could do a Disney cruise, maybe?"

Tyler looked at the Disney cruise ship papers and the Carnival cruise ship papers.

"I don't really want to do Disney. It says here that the Disney ship doesn't dock anywhere but the Disney island place. But the Carnival ships dock in Mexico, the Bahamas, Jamaica, and other countries depending on what ship you get on. Oh! And your boss is freaking amazing, because look! The next ship docks out in two days. We can get tickets asap, and then we should be good, right? As long as you want to, anyway."

I smile at Tyler. "Of course I want to. It'll be a lot of fun, yeah? I'll order the tickets real quick since I already put the check on my card. I'm gonna call them, okay? And you're positive this is what you want to do?"

My sunshine jumped up excitedly. "Yes! Yes! I'm super positive this is what I wanna do!"

And so, that's what we did.

I called the company, paid the money (I even bought private wifi because why not?), and soon we had our tickets (they were digital and on my phone) and the next day Tyler and I may or may not have watched a bunch of YouTube videos on what to and what to do and pack for our cruise. To say we are excited about it is totally an understatement.

Carnival is a cruise ship company. They dock out all around the US and go to near beaches and islands btw:)