The old brother

As the night keeps falling, the atmosphere becomes more and more cold. The flames dance on few old branches, accompanied by the sinuous and calming movements of their light caressing the cave's walls, my skin and Optimus' metal. I love its heat.

Sleeping? No, there's no sleeping tonight. Just deep thoughts and processing and accepting the truth.

"Having a thing" could mean nothing, my mind thinks. Just mere interest, that's all. But he's worried that the Decepticons could kidnap me. Well, it's normal, isn't it?

I happen to be a very undecided person at times.

"My name's Beatrice Orion" I break the silence catching his attention "And you were named Orion Pax. Cool, isn't it?"

"You're a descendant of some Orion family, evidently. What do you know?"

"About my family? Nothing actually, except for my father being a dickhead. Sorry for disappointing you."

"Never mind."

"Why, though? I mean, this is just a coincidence."

"It may be so."

"I like the name Orion Pax. It suits you" he turns to look at me "Of course, Optimus too."

His shiny optics scan me attentively.

"I honestly like yours too, Beatrice Orion."

The softness in his voice makes me blush while I smile sincerely and lower my head. Suddenly I feel his digit under my chin, gently forcing me to lift my head and I meet his optics again.

"Your eyes" he goes slowly. "Green, just like hers. You remind me of her, you know..."

I am unable to speak under his touch and just stare as he's forcing me to.

"...She was just as brave and intelligent and curious as you are."

"Is that the reason why you love looking at me right in the eyes.... why you chose me to come with you?" I ask and my voice shows off the state of trance I am in, I can't hide it.

The atmosphere is abandoned to some instants of silence and I'm afraid my heartbeat can be heard.

"That maybe is one of the reasons" he replies and again I can't hide the emotion and surprise in my eyes.

Those words sink into my mind while a still conscious part of me keeps wondering which are the other reasons.

"I believe I have a thing for you too, Prime."

There comes a moment in the night when I am just so tired and sleepy that I start feeling like drunk and I have a very little control on my actions and words, so I happen to just say all that crosses my mind. And in some cases it could be dangerous.

Now light changes in his optics, I can see something that looks like hope.

"I actually really enjoy your company" I continue.

His digit leaves my chin moving towards my cheek and it seems he's trying his best to be soft and gentle despite the metal and the dimensions. It turns out to be a sort of caress that I kinda appreciate.

"Mutual."

An unexplainable joy fills me up.

"So, don't ignore me anymore, please. You know it... it hurted."

He seems hit by my last words.

"I'm sorry, I was just doing it to protect you."

"Optimus Prime, you have to promise me something."

"What?"

"Do not try to protect me anymore."

•  •  •

"Beatrice, I should have told you this before but I just hadn't the opportunity" Optimus begins while we're travelling.

The sun is high in the sky as we proceed through the fourth and last day of mission.
I raise my eyebrows questioning and he continues.

"We found the area containing the Decepticons' base. I have already alerted the Autobots and they're all directed here, however they were not far. There's a fight about to happen, very probably."

I swallow and just nod. A chill of fear closes my stomach.

"Take care" is all that escapes my mouth.

"As usual" he answers back.

Three hours later we stop suddenly and I recover instantly from my brief and superficial nap. I spot some kind of vehicles in the distance in front of us and I already understand everything. My fear is partially erased though when I hear new engine noises and I notice that some coloured cars are now driving behind us. I recognize them instantly: the Autobots.

Suddenly it all happens quickly and I almost can't realize it. Optimus transforms and I am catapulted out of him but as soon as I hit the ground, a big red metallic hand catches me and some mechanical noises later I find myself inside a new car. An initial scream is right away cut off by the car's voice.

"Please, don't panic, lady. It's Sideswipe."

"Sideswipe!" I exclaim.

"The Prime has got duties, you know."

"I guess so."

I see everyone transforming but suddenly the red car inverts the direction and we're travelling away.

"Hey! What're you doing?!"

"Keeping you safe."

"What the he-"

"Prime's orders."

I must keep myself not to curse.

"You stop the car now! I want to see!"

"I can't-"

"Orion's orders!" I impose.

"Alright, lil lady Orion. But we won't get any closer than this."

He turns around and lets me watch as soon as a grey military airplane lands roughly in front of the Autobots making the ground tremble. I lower the window. I can hear the voices.

"Megatron!" Optimus growls aggressively to the new arrived one taking out his sword.

That's Megatron, my mind processes, Optimus' old friend.

"And so you've come to look for me, after all, speak the truth!" Megatron begins quite threateningly, his voice is as scary as hell. "What would you be without me, Prime?"

I won't forget those words.

"Time to find out!" Optimus replies back and I hear his battle mask closing on his face.

The fight begins and it is more lethal than the other one. The Autobots themselves look more lethal than the usual and I just tremble. But my eyes are fixed on the flamed and the silver ones. They fight like nobody else and I think that such a combat could end with a death only. I have never seen such fire in Optimus' optics, such a rage. He's totally destroying the grey one without mercy, but suddenly the situation changes and now Megatron is on him, keeping Optimus lying on the ground. His evilly threatening optics are very close to Optimus'.

I cover my mouth with my hands, ready to hide my eyes in front of what could happen. He'll kill Optimus, my mind says. He can kill him now, he can. But... instead of killing him, he says some words that leave me astonished.

"We were brothers once!"

He's not killing him, my mind thinks. He is not threatening him anymore, what... Optimus optics are beyond furious and what happens later leaves me even more astonished.

"Once!" Optimus retorts with coldness and taking the occasion to free himself, then with a deathly kick he sends Megatron to the ground.

I feel a little bit worried.
But not for Optimus this time.