Chapter 1:)

I quickly changed back into my school clothes, that consisted of dark jeans, black converse and white t-shirt. Accompanied with a handful of woven bracelets I made myself out of strings of varying colours. I had no idea what too wear on my first day at a new school. I had never attended a school that allowed free dress before. It had always been a strict uniform. Was I underdressed? I didn't know what was expected of a girl in year 10 to wear. I tried to shrug the thought off this morning. Now, it was all I could think about.

I now had only 10 minutes to unpack my bag, that was bursting with books, find my locker and work out where my first lesson, Maths, (groan) was. I was the first too leave the change room. The air was moist from the showers and smelt like a mixture of about six different deodorants. My lungs where thankful as I left the gym and entered the crowded corridor. Noise and bodies hit both my body and ears. The hall was like a tsunami of bodies thundering down a one way street. I half expected a magnet to be sitting at the other end of the hall. I looked down at my diary that I clutched onto for dear life. I could feel judging eyes drill into me as I fumbled through the pages. The book was arranged by date with my personal timetable stuck into the back.

The little squares where colour coded according to each subject. My locker number was printed in the top right hand corner of the sheet. The small black numbers read 040. Right, locker number forty. I turned around in the diminishing swarm of people. The blue locker bank behind me had their corresponding numbers pressed into the top right hand corner. The locker closest to me had a number 030 and the one to its right had 031. I followed the bank of increasing numbers until I found mine. 040 was the 5th closest too the end of the row. Right outside the bathroom. Great.

I opened the door and started shoving my books into my locker. The space was small. I was late so I didn't have time organise everything. Not that it would stay organised for very long.......but still I might as well start neat. Right?. I grabbed my books out for the first two classes, maths and English and jammed my bag that was still full of books the best I could into my locker. My now there was no one left in the corridor. Crap. I thought to myself. I fumbled through the pages of the school diary once again to find the room that maths was in. The little red box had room21a as my maths room. The class room opposite my locker was room 18a. At, least I was no the right floor. My goal for today was to remain optimistic. So far I was doing alright.

I followed the linoleum floor as I marked off each classroom. Soon enough I turned the corner to find class 21a on my left. Students where already seated and a fat, grey haired man was writing a series of numbers on the board. From behind the closed grey door I took a breath and walked into the room.

"Your late." The old man said into the white board. He turned to face me squinting over his round rimmed glasses. His greying eyebrows were furrowed into rather an aggressive frown. His voice and directness took me by surprise.

"Umm sorry, I am new and didn't know where to go." I said as I stood awkwardly by the door. Everyone was looking at me. I could feel the weight of their looks raining down on my shoulders. I did a quick scan of the class.

I saw Mikaela smiling at me over her dark blue rimmed glasses. She hadn't been wearing them at basketball, so at first I hadn't recognised her. She had an empty seat on her right side. She pulled the chair out. A silent invitation for me to sit. On her other side sat a girl, with dark hair and olive skin. She was also smiling. Her chocolaty coloured eyes where welcoming and I couldn't help smiling back. I sat down beside Mikaela.

"Don't worry about him." The dark haired girl to Mikaela's left said as she leaned away from her desk tilting back on her chair.

"My names Claudia, and you are....?" Her sentence trailed off. Waiting for a reply.