14 | syrena

--

--

"Just cry." You pleaded with the mermaid, "Please just cry."

This is the way she looked up at you, completely unimpressed but you couldn't see her well behind the blurry wall your tears were forming.

"It's no use, stop asking." Another pirate spat in your direction. You found that everybody on the high seas was used to taking by force, no matter what the consequences.

"I am not going to stop, not until we get what we need." You told him without taking your eyes off Syrena who had focused her gaze on your face. She looked at the map of scratches and bruises on your face and let her imagination wonder as to how you got them.

You noticed her staring and quickly you turned your face away from her, trying to hide the worst of your scars. She didn't look at them with admiration like other pirates did, she looked at them with pity and that is something you had never known before.

"Give me a reason to cry." Her voice was soft as well as angelic, fitting perfectly to the role of siren. You didn't look at her, instead locking your jaw in place and wiping your nose.

"It will save your life." You replied with an ice in your voice. She was the complete opposite of you; white and innocent looking. You were dirty and the kind of person people avoided on the streets.

"Give me a real reason to cry." She repeated pulling the shirt closer to her body.

You tore your eyes away from the distance so you could see the way her face fell as she followed the long cutlass scar down your face and neck.

There was a silence between you both as you decided what to say. You could threaten her life to make her cry, you could grace your sword against her pale skin. Or you had the option to do something completely different; you could tell her your darkest secret.

"You want a reason to cry? Cry because I showed mercy, cry because I let the scum who did this to me live. Shed a tear for all the people he has harmed since because I couldn't kill him. Give them a mermaid tear, it's the least they deserve as they rot in their coffins."

"You don't kill." She whispered the revelation to herself and suddenly she looked at you slightly differently, like you were an oddity. A spanner in the works of an intricate clock. You are the one pirate who refuses to kill.

You didn't say a word, "Cry for me then. Because the person who never takes a life gets their life taken away first."

"That's not true."

"That's life mermaid, you don't cry means I'll die. So shed a tear for me."

Syrena did cry, a tear did spill out across her cheek. It was the first tear ever to be spilled over you.