34 | phillip + syrena

You often wondered where Philip was beyond the horizon; on land or sea, being rich or poor, loving or being loved.

He left years ago, back when you were only just coming of age and your brother was finding where his heart lay beyond the small Caribbean town you both called home.

As a girl, only of fifteen you had anticipated word from him or even Phillip himself with every change of hand. A ship would sail to dock and he would depart, a knock on the door was a letter arriving for him. Yet, it never was and after a while you started to believe it would never come so you turned your full attention to your brother only once a year.

On the anniversary of him leaving you sat on the rocky shore where you waved until your arm hurt and there you sat today.

"I miss you," You told the ghost of him that was always with you, you stared into the plunge pool just before you, where Phillip would throw you on hot and stuffy days on the beach. You had forgotten how deep it was when you told the memory of Phillip the news from the last year,

"I wish you were here when the pirates came. The general from the East India Company lives her now, he sorted out everything, and I'm his head housekeeper. He's obsessed with pirates, when I go in he is always talking of Captain Jack Sparrow. He doesn't know that I can read so he keeps his documents on his desk, I'm glad you taught me. I think if I stay in his good books he could take me to sea and then I could tell you of all the wonders I have seen,"

You had been there all day and the sky was slowly turning violet shades with the sunset, you should have left but it was such a peculiar and beautiful sight. Tainted with pink and splattered with orange as the sun disappeared in front of your eyes. Phillip hadn't come back and you had exhausted your supply of tears many years ago.

Standing up after the horizon had only the shadows of colour, "Until next year brother." You turned your back on him but Phillip had not turned his back on his family this year.

He stood on the wet sand of the beach, unsteady on his feet but risking it all for you. He couldn't stand hearing your cries carry on the waves of the ocean all the way to him, "You forgot to say Amen,"

Your feet caught on rocks and you almost slipped on the seaweed of the rocks as you ran to him and smothered all of his body in your embrace. His grip was tight on you and you breathed him in and he smelled of salt, nothing but salt. It was enough to make the tears come back after such a long time.

"Here, here," He whispered, he sensed the slightly stranger movement in your chest rather then feeling the tears trickle on his shoulder, "I have a wonder for you to see."

You pulled yourself back and wiped your nose, "I think you're more than enough for today."

His eyes glinted and his smile was broader than you remembered, he took your hand in his and traced almost perfectly back the steps you had taken to reach him, "No, this is more important."

Already too stunned for words to gather in your tongue so they could be spoken you let him sit you down perching by the plunge pool, "What is this?"

The answer came to you as you watched a mass of blacker water move its way to the surface. Half of you wanted to run but before you had even thought about it you felt a warm hand on your arm keeping you rooted to the spot.

Then as it reached the clearer water before you, your eyes refused to believe what was revealing itself to you. It could not be anything but a mermaid.

With no shadow of a doubt you declared this women to be the most beautiful living being you ever had the privileged to see and even the women, was caught of guard when she stared into your eyes

"It's not possible." You whispered.

"Better be careful," She said and you sat enamoured as she brought out her hand and caressed your cheek, "I was almost killed for a tear and yet you give them to me for free."

The tales were of fisherman loosing all their sanity upon seeing a mermaid and young sailors forgetting their families at home for the home of a mermaid's arms. Never had you felt closer to being a young sailor, never had you wanted to feel an embrace as much as her's.

"Meet Syrena," Philip smiled, "And this is my sister."

"I have heard much about you." She responded.

"You're beautiful." The words were gone before you realised and you clutched your hand to your mouth.

"And you do not need an old sailor hell bent on capturing pirates to see the world," She then swam up to you and put her arms onto the rocks next to you, "It is much more fun to do it with mermaids."

"Mermaids?" You looked at Philip and his smile had never dissipated, he nodded.

Syrena looked at you, "And I believe you to be fairer then both me and Phillip. Fair enough to entrance even our own friend Captain Jack Sparrow and maybe," Her eyes held a shine in them that gave you back your youthfulness you were forced to abandon long ago, "Even a fair amount of mermaids on the way."

Both she and Phillip put one of your hands into theirs and you looked between them, Philip asked you, "Come with us. I can't stand being apart of this world when you are stuck on land."

Hundreds of questions raced around in your mind yet there was one urge that silenced them all. Jump into the plunge pool and see the world, see the wonders with your brother and his beautiful mermaid.

"Yes."

The last sighting of you was by Lord Cutler Beckett who had strolled out onto the beach in search of you and saw the glistening of scales and the unmistakable outline of you in between the waves.

a/n okay I admit, I may or may not have a thing for Cutler Beckett.....

this is dedicated to grimesdiixons !! they requested syrena and I hope this little scene with Philip as well brings you a little bit of joy !!

Next question; who next?