24 | elizabeth

-----

-----

Elizabeth didn't want to wipe away the tears that fell down her face, her eyes were beginning to sting as she refused to take her gaze off the scene in front of her.

It was horrific, not so much in the actual sight but it was more the reality surrounding it; a corpse means that the world has lost someone. In this case it also meant that Elizabeth Turner had lost her world; you.

As the rain splattered against her hair, Elizabeth felt a chill cutting herself to the bone and her first instinct was to long for your warmth. The way you could comfort her was a drug that her body was craving. But then she looked down at the closed coffin and she became disgusted, you had lost your life and she was thinking about herself.

"Sorry," She whispered, wiping her nose on the back of her hand. And then she laughed slightly, "If you could see me now. Oh I know you would laugh, you always did when I cried. Except normally I was crying over spilt milk,"

Elizabeth ran her hands through the flower wreath onto of the coffin, she had chosen all of them herself and painstakingly arranged them to make this final piece. She picked out a rose and smelled it, the petal disintegrated in her hand. It was old and her hands - wet from tears - crumbled it away. Elizabeth eyebrows furrowed but then she relaxed,

"You wouldn't have wanted flowers anyway, they only die. You wouldn't have wanted a coffin either but I don't think I would survived mourning a memory."

Elizabeth's mind then thought about her own life and she was reminded how many of her best memories contained you. You were there so much, it was abnormal to have an event without you. You were her rock, you were her other half; you were gone.

That thought sparked an anger in Elizabeth that had to be expressed, without thinking about consequences she kicked the table your coffin was lying on. The sound of wood cracking brought the women back to her senses, and the reality that the coffin could fall.

Yet she wasn't fast enough, the flower arrangement tumbled first and as Elizabeth, horrified, tried to grab the table legs to straighten her mistake, the casket was already falling.

A scream cut through the whispering nature of before, it was half in expectation and half in horror. The wood splintered apart as it collided with the floor and Elizabeth couldn't bear to look. She choked on her own breath and waited for the opposing sound of your body however it never came.

Silence followed the crash of the incident and the mourner waited, gathering her juggling thoughts. She composed herself and only then could look.

"You absolute idiot." Elizabeth laughed and this time she didn't stop, she stood up gathering her dress up and ran.

The coffin was empty and Elizabeth knew what that meant; you were alive. And if you were breathing then all Elizabeth wanted to do was breath alongside you.