Chapter 2: Mon Amour

We get called to a grease fire early next shift but it's not a long call, the fire gets put out pretty fast and no one is injured.

Dawson and I are sat on the edge of the ambo talking about a doctor that she's interested in at Lakeshore when Kelly comes over and gestures to me. Gabby nods and leaves us to it.

"Hey."

"Hey." I reply back and he moves so he's facing the inside of the ambo so no one can see or hear what we're talking about.

"I need something." says Severide and I sigh knowing that he was going to say something along those lines.
I open the bag and pull another little glass bottle out. He stretches out his hand for me to put it in. "It's the last one." I pause.

"Yeah."

"I mean it."

"Right, it's all good." He nods in understanding and I put the bottle in his hand before he shoves it into the pocket of his turnout pants.

All companies head back to 51 and when we get there we see a new poster up on the notice board.

"Oh, yeah! Best benefit all year, boys!" Cruz claps his hands in excitement reading the notice.

WEST LOOP LADIES AUXILIARY
52ND ANNUAL
FRIENDS OF FIREMAN
BARBECUE

FOOD • DRINKS • RAFFLES • KIDS ACTIVITIES
BEAN BAG TOURNAMENT • WATER-CARRY RACE

ADULTS $20.00

"He's not lying." Vargo turns the page of the magazine he's reading.

"We're there when you feed us." Mouch adds his comment and I roll my eyes. These men are supposed to be fighting fit - not always stuffing their faces. But I love 'em all the same.

"Hey, you know about fire fans, Peter Mills?" Cruz asks.

"They're chicks who follow firemen like flies to honey."

"Bee's, Otis." Joe corrects his mistake, "Bee's to honey."

"Whatever, we're still the honey." Otis argues and then turns to Casey ignoring Mill's amused face. "Hey, Lieutenant, why do we have a goat on our truck?"

"Years ago, Truck 81's first fire was at a goat farm in little Italy." Matt replies.

"Really?"

"Mhmm."

"Nah," Mouch disagrees, "they used to have a goat at the station so they didn't have to mow the grass."

"Huh. I thought that's what candidates are for." Otis retorts and they look back at Mills who is glaring at them while we laugh a little.

A buzz sounds throughout the station and a voice announces, "Smoke-eater in the house."

We make our way out onto the apparatus floor and see none other than Christopher Herrmann hobbling in clutching onto a walking stick.

"Hey! Hey, Hermann!" Everyone cheers. "Hey! Welcome back."

"They ticked a nerve in my leg," he says once we've all crowded around, "I may not walk straight again." My heart drops. Everyone loves Herrmann, everyone needs Herrmann around. 51 isn't 51, without him.

"Candidate, get him a chair!" Vargo orders and Pete doesn't hesitate to wheel one forwards.

"Thanks, kid." Herrmann groans as he takes a seat, "Ah, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a second fellas, are any of my kids around here? My wife or her parents?"