Chapter 10: It Ain't Easy

"It started getting hot, smoke started coming in. I turned around and next thing I know, fire's coming in through the window." The man tells Chief. "We tried to spray it, but it got too hot, and the propane tank blew."

We look at the dumpster bin that is on fire as a few men hose it to put the flames out.

"Anything else combustible in there?" Boden asks.

"A bunch of cylinders oxygen, acetylene."

"Truck 81, pull those tanks out before it turns into the Fourth of July." says Chief, "Squad, you're on search."

"Hey, isn't that that kid Ernie from the Thanksgiving dinner?" Otis points him out quickly and our heads turn to see the blond boy, sat on his bike watching the event take place behind a nearby fence.

We look at Chief and he gives us an 'I'll-deal-with-it-later' look so Truck and Squad continue to enter the building and look for victims.

"Main room's clear of hazardous material. No workers in here. Haven't checked the supply room yet." Casey radios.

"We got it!" Severide replies.

Soon the Squad company appears with an unconscious man. We begin to move towards him but another ambulance takes control and puts him on their gurney.

Dawson and I shrug. Oh well, let them have him, it's less paperwork for us. Maybe now we can go back to the firehouse instead of to the hospital.

"Truck's still engaged, I need you two to vent the roof." Boden tells Kelly and Vargas.

"On it," Severide replies and the two men make they're way up to the roof.

81, emerge with canisters and other explosive items before rushing back in to drag more out, and they repeat the process.

"How we doing on that vent?"

"We're venting, making progress." Severide radios back to Chief.

"Clear out, clear out!" 81 yell as something inside explodes.

"Mayday! Mayday! Firefighter down! We got a down firefighter on the roof." Kelly shouts into the radio.

"Get a ladder up there now." Chief orders and 51 work together to Vargas down from the roof and onto our gurney.

So much for no paperwork.

"Vargas, can you hear me?" I ask as he groans on the gurney struggling to breath. Dawson cuts his top off so we can access his chest more easily, "Take nice, slow breaths for us, Vargas. We're gonna get you to the hospital in no time, okay?" I secure an oxygen mask on his face, which is a little hard because he keeps moving, "Just hang in there for us."

"You guys ready?" Dawson asks.

"Yeah," replies Casey.

"We need a hand." she says and they help lift Vargas into the ambo and I run to the front before beginning to drive to Chicago U.

The rest of 51 soon meet us at the hospital where we await any news on Vargas' condition. Kelly looks really worried considering he was the only one on the roof with him and he's in charge of all the men (and Shay) part of Squad.

We wait for a few hours and only hear the same thing from all of the doctors, "we're doing the best we can."

Eventually a few people begin to depart until it's only Boden, Kelly and I left.